Sold / Found / Inactive - Engine/crash guard for 1982 XS650

Boog

Traveling Stroyteller
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Buzzy needs some protection. I have no doubt he is going to tip over again some day and as I pour more treasure into his revival, I do want to add protection.

I do not see any recently for sale and the ones I see on line make me wonder if certain years have things that prevent all XS650 bars from working on different year bikes. So, would a guard from a 1978 bike fit mine? I think it would...

This one says 78-80
s-l500.jpg

This one fits an '81 it says
upload_2021-11-10_16-53-52.jpeg

They look the same to me

On your second pic there's two tabs welded across the bottom. You can't see 'em in the pic, but you can see the shadow where it's raised off the table...

upload_2021-11-10_16-53-52.jpeg

Those tabs are where U-bolts hold it to the frame like in the next pic. You can just make out the U-bolt.

IMG_0767.JPG

In my opinion, that's the cleaner looking and better option.
Just as a guess, I'd say any advertised for 76 or so and up would work.

Forgot to mention... and I meant to point out in your 82 thread...
I've never experienced unstable sidestands on the 3 or 4 XS's I've owned. I know others have, but properly assembled, they stay down pretty well. I'd suggest crawling under there one day and have a good look at the brackets and spring and see if it's all assembled correctly. Use the parts diagram as a guide.

28c29bb4-6113-4f36-941f-25bb4833af69-jpeg.194709

It is possible for the bar to touch the ground before anything else in the right circumstances. I managed to do it without even applying brakes, the consequence being a low side get-off. Mine has tabs welded on the bottom. It's a genuine Yamaha accessory.

@jetmechmarty, looking at yours, I get the idea that in a tip over, the bars will still strike the ground. What is your take?

The factory bars on both my Stratoliner and my Rocket III prevent the full lay down.

@jetmechmarty, looking at yours, I get the idea that in a tip over, the bars will still strike the ground. What is your take?

The factory bars on both my Stratoliner and my Rocket III prevent the full lay down.
I put the bar on there because I like the way it looks. When the bike was new, the dealer installed it, along with the oil cooler. After the crash over 15 years ago, I immediately bought an NOS case guard identical to the damaged one. I only just installed it this spring.
It will protect the engine side covers and not much else.
Big ass ones look like cattle fenders.
These will likely fold up in a crash. Don't crash! Crashing is bad. Also, I agree with Gary that they are unattractive.

Back