Engine mounts sorted

denisducati750

650 Custom Chop
Reaction score
I didn't do anything to my build today - but a genius mate did a lot. He lined up the drive train as I'm trying to match up an '80's chopper frame, with Honda swing arm, Suzuki Katana 1100 front and rear, Harley 1" bars and controls with a '74 Yamaha XS650 engine. I've rebuilt my first ever engine at age 65, so an old road racer name of John Wilkinson (you can check him out on Facebook at JB Classic SBK) is currently lining up the drive and rear sprockets (I had a bare 34 tooth sprocket modified so it bolts up to the Katana rear wheel), welding in the engine mounts (frame was designed to take a Honda 750 4 engine), and welding the rear shock mount brackets for the custom seat that will sit on modified frame tubes taken from the original XS650 frame. At least that's something Yamaha XS to keep the engine company. Have spent a few weeks now trying to get a two into one carby manifold set up without success so tonight I'm going to order 2 x Mikuni 34's with the mounts and air-cleaners from TC Bros. She feels amazing to sit on and isn't far off a trial start-up to see whether I've made a mess of my first engine rebuild. I couldn't have done that without the You Tube videos put up there by Nightflyer - I've watched them so many times I feel like I should be buying him a beer if she fires up!

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 284
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 291
  • 77.JPG
    77.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 275
  • XS A.jpg
    XS A.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 283
I didn't do anything to my build today - but a genius mate did a lot. He lined up the drive train as I'm trying to match up an '80's chopper frame, with Honda swing arm, Suzuki Katana 1100 front and rear, Harley 1" bars and controls with a '74 Yamaha XS650 engine. I've rebuilt my first ever engine at age 65, so an old road racer name of John Wilkinson (you can check him out on Facebook at JB Classic SBK) is currently lining up the drive and rear sprockets (I had a bare 34 tooth sprocket modified so it bolts up to the Katana rear wheel), welding in the engine mounts (frame was designed to take a Honda 750 4 engine), and welding the rear shock mount brackets for the custom seat that will sit on modified frame tubes taken from the original XS650 frame. At least that's something Yamaha XS to keep the engine company. Have spent a few weeks now trying to get a two into one carby manifold set up without success so tonight I'm going to order 2 x Mikuni 34's with the mounts and air-cleaners from TC Bros. She feels amazing to sit on and isn't far off a trial start-up to see whether I've made a mess of my first engine rebuild. I couldn't have done that without the You Tube videos put up there by Nightflyer - I've watched them so many times I feel like I should be buying him a beer if she fires up!

denisducati750, I think you'll find that the Mikuni VM34's are cheaper as a kit from the Australian distributor after taking into consideration the crazy postage costs from the US.
See them here from TD Hatrick (MikuniOz) in Townsville.

Thanks for the tip mate - I’ll check it out. The exchange rate was always a concern but I’ve had good service from them before and like the manifolds they offer as my carbs won’t be supported by an air box.

Thanks for the tip mate - I’ll check it out. The exchange rate was always a concern but I’ve had good service from them before and like the manifolds they offer as my carbs won’t be supported by an air box.

FYI - Similar alloy manifolds come in the kit from the Oz supplier

Hi denis,
that frame's single down tube just plain ol' gets in the way of a single carb set-up, don't it?
You could try welding an eye through the down tube just like on my plunger frame A10 BSA.
Short piece of 3" pipe should do it.
Carb in front, intake hose through, pancake air filter behind.

Yeah I’m now going with the twin carb set up - but I had figured the 200mm (or roughly 7 and three quarter inches) between that down tube and the Carby mounting surface would have allowed something like this one (see photo) to fit and provide a neat balanced look. The one pictured is for a Triumph but I’d seen one for an XS on a Green Sand Foundry page - would be easier to have found Salman Rushdie in the day than to buy the unit I found. Joe Wiseguy was a big help and eventually concluded that I’d need a side exit manifold in the end. Thanks again for all the help - got a despatch slip from the local supplier confirming my Mikuni’s are already on their way so looking forward to seeing them mocked up. D

Attachments

• FCC2654E-29CC-44BA-9845-060A18B7D6DA.jpeg
    FCC2654E-29CC-44BA-9845-060A18B7D6DA.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 230
Are the VM's XS650 jetted??.........A few years ago they didn't know the 650 jetting when a friend bought his carbs.

Time will tell I guess whether they’re correctly jetted but they say they are jetted correctly for an XS. I’m not too worried though as John Wilkinson is the sort of bloke who will find a way to make anything work - he’s building and tuning race bikes and cars every day and they’re matching racers on ten times the budget - his work really is way above average so I reckon they’ll end up performing well with the range of jet options supplied. He’s fabricating the exhaust system as well from a TC Bros kit and that’ll obviously have to be factored in to the tuning from what I’ve read. I’m looking forward to filming the first start up and tuning.

For anyone in Australia, I was blown away by the great service from MikuniOz in Townsville. I ordered my carbies on Friday and they arrived at my door in country Victoria on the Monday. Unbelievable and great to be able to do business locally, especially given the Aus/US exchange rate. Thanks for the advice!

Back