Engine Overhaul to Cure Rattle, Debris Found, Help

Georelle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally decided to overhaul the motor on my 76 bobber. It was running well and has plenty of compression but there was a rattle. I would get a rattle at a certain RPM, unfortunately I am not sure of the RPM because I don't have a tach. But it would do it right around 60mph and if I adjusted the throttle speed it would go away. It sounded like a tapping noise on the case. It did it in more then one gear also.
When I searched the forum for the symptom it sounded like the problem was probably either the front chain guide plastic came off or the rods. Well the front chain guide is ok, the plastic is coming off in some places but not the cause of the rattle.
The rods look good so far. The piston wrist pins show very little wear. I have not taken the crank apart yet to check the bottom end but I can't imagine the bottom end of the crank could be worse then the top.
When I took the right case off I found the metal parts in the picture. The washer is suppose to be round but it looks like it got pinched in something. All parts shown are magnetic so they almost had to come from the right side otherwise the oil plug magnets would have grabbed them. There was also another piece of metal about the size of the larger one that I lost. I think it was cast aluminum however. My friend and I searched the entire motor to see where these parts may have come from but haven't come up with anything.
The motor overall shows very little wear. The cylinders have almost no lip and the rings measure well with in tolerance when put in the cylinders. shift forks look great as well.
Any ideas where the parts may have come from or what may have been causing the noise? All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Georelle

Attachments

• Case debris.jpg
    Case debris.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 105
Inxs
Thanks for the reply. Yes, but all those parts were there according to the diagram anyway. The washer I found can only fit on a few items inside the motor.

The tachometer drive shaft has a shim washer under the bottom end. If a PO has lifted the tach shaft, the washer can fall into the bottom of the right case. It was missing on my engine.

sorry for the off topic, how important is that washer in the tach drive? I dont have one, but tach works fine. will my oil pump drive get chewed up? Ive asked around, and nobody know. sorry for the thread jack.

RG - Thanks for the info. That might be it. I just had a quick look and I don't see it. Now I am sorta wondering if that tach shaft could cause the rattle since I don't have a tach connected. The sound did seem to come from the right side. That would be cool and save me the $160.00 for two new rods.

When I put this thing back together where all should I Yamabond, seals, gaskets...??

Thanks again RG good to hear from you again.

Georelle

Back