Engine Overhaul, yamabond use and other tips please.

Georelle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am still working on the overhaul.
A little back ground. The motor was making a rattle noise at about 60-65mph(and other speeds at similar rpm) and the seals were leaking. When I took it apart I found a few metal pieces under the right side cover, which RetiredGentleman helped to identify, thanks. One was the washer from under the tach drive gear.
The motor shows surprising little wear. The cylinders look great and the old rings are well with in tolerence. I am not sure if the tach drive gear would cause the rattle I was hearing. I thought maybe the plastic had come off the front chain guide but it looks good. The piston pins look very good, no wear can be felt. I didn't take apart the crank. Anybody got ideas what else might cause the rattle before I put this back together?
I was also wondering were all I should use the yamabond? Just on the case halves? On the case seals? I don't think I need to put anything on the gaskets.
I also got the motor apart with out separating the cam chain. Anybody get it back together without separating it? If it is too much of a pain I can order a new link and chain breaker/riveter. Kinda thinking it might be a bitch if I don't.

Thanks all
Georelle

I apply a small bead of Yamabond (with a toothpick) to both sides of the head gasket around the 4 outside stud holes and the cam chain tunnel .....

HeadGasketSealer.jpg

I wouldn't put one of these back together without replacing the front cam chain guide. That's the most failure-prone item in there and they're all 27 years old or more. Cam chain and valve guide seals, too.

Thanks for help guys. I do have a new front chain guide and valve seals.
I'll give it a shot without separating the chain.

Georelle

Back