exhaust gasket

cobrasneverdie

el guapo
Reaction score
Got another question for some of you folks out there, got me thinking

I own hughs speedster pipes, I used the gasket that came with the kit:
DSC04460.jpg

they fit really snug into the pipe, but I had to take the pipes and wrap them, when that happened the gasket fell apart
So I went to the yamaha dealer and bought new ones and they were different, they're copper gaskets.
$%28KGrHqUOKiEE5dCn,Kj%28BOhpGTHjOw~~60_35.JPG

I noticed when I put it in that it just slide in, wasn't as snug.

Question: am I prone to having exhaust leaks? pipes been poppin here and there.

Just trying to eliminate the variables

Getting aftermarket headpipes to seal properly can be tough. Yamaha had a nice design on the originals with a stepped end on the pipe that fit into a step in the exhaust port. This perfectly centered the pipe and wouldn't allow it to slip off the seal ring at all. My aftermarket headpipes leaked like crazy when I first installed them because they had no step on the end, just a very small and inadequate lip. I solved the problem by fashioning inserts from the stepped ends of original headpipes. My pipes seal tight as a drum now .....

HomemadeARs.jpg

Inserts.jpg

Hi cobra,
The stock gaskets only look round when they are new.
Had a WTF? moment when I bought new ones to replace the original gaskets on my Heritage.
"These ain't right, the gaskets that came out were flat copper washers."
"And so will these be after they are installed, Sir."
So yeah, the stock gaskets squash flat and fit nice on first installation.
< edit> 5twin's post beat mine into this string. If your aftermarket pipes don't have the stock pipes end design, getting two little adapters made is a good thought. You don't need to salvage the ends of stock pipes, they can be turned up from aluminum barstock.

Last edited:
Fredintoon,5twins, my pipes do have that lip,
Speedster-Raw.jpg

but that's an ingenious idea!

However the problem I think here is the fact that those green gaskets fit so snug between engine and pipe that I didn't think any leaks would happen. Bike ran great, once I slapped these copper gaskets, they slid in and came off, there was a hairline gap between the pipe and also between the engine. Basically I wasn't convinced these would be good.

Hi cobra,
the stock finned exhaust flange has a spigot that pushes the pipe in to bite down on the stock gasket.
your photo shows the exhaust pipe flanges as a flat oval plates that can't do that.
Is it possible that although the system works OK with it's own thick gaskets your pipes are just not getting pressed in far enough to squash the stock copper gaskets flat and make a seal?

Last edited:
anyone know what the difference in the xs650direct part number Part #18-0675

and mikesxs Part #18-0675

us canadians get the short end of the stick with these parts

anyone know what the difference in the xs650direct part number Part #18-0675
and mikesxs Part #18-0675
us canadians get the short end of the stick with these parts

Hi cobra,
check with Heiden Tuning, betcha it's the same part and they stock it too.
But what gets to me ain't so much the part cost as it is the shipping.
Those exhaust seals could be put in a bubble envelope and sent via Canada Post for mebbe $5.
Having to pay $20 to get the same small parts in a horkin' great cardboard box via Purolator is really annoying.
And queenslegs, thanks for the sirius link.

Hi cobra,
if you are converting Heiden's price of 10 gaskets for 15 Euros, no.
My exchange chart sez 15 Euro = ~ $Cdn 20.
Plus my guess of at least 25 Euros shipping cost.
Plus the wait and the hassle.

Hi cobra,
that or queenslegs Sirius link.
Those guys are in Cambridge Ontario so there won't be any cross-border hassles to deal with and their prices seem better.
BUT
nowhere on their site could I find if they had a minimum order policy or what their shipping costs were like.
Perhaps you could e-mail them and ask?

Back