Exhaust gaskets (donuts) - reusable?

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if most people reuse the exhaust donut gasket that fits over the pipe and seals against the head. On other applications I have smeared a light coat of red, high temp silicone to ensure a good seal but haven’t done test on the XS. They’re too expensive gir single use. Any thoughts?

I'm not "most people" but yeah I reuse them (leave em in the head) if they aren't mangled.
The trick is being sure there's only one in there, LOL
It's mostly about loosely installing everything then slowly tightening it all so that the gap between flange and head is close to equal and about 1/16 inch on the stock finned flange to head all around.Now go and tighten nuts, bolts, brackets down at the other end of the head pipe, mufflers, etc..
With non stock parts it can be a challange to get everything in place and comfortable.

Last edited:
Wondering if most people reuse the exhaust donut gasket that fits over the pipe and seals against the head. On other applications I have smeared a light coat of red, high temp silicone to ensure a good seal but haven’t done test on the XS. They’re too expensive gir single use. Any thoughts?
It is essentially a "crush washer" type entity, so ideally you would want to use a new one every time the parts are apart. I keep a stock of 12 or so. Not expensive in my world.

It is essentially a "crush washer" type entity, so ideally you would want to use a new one every time the parts are apart. I keep a stock of 12 or so. Not expensive in my world.

Just looked at XS650DIRECT and you’re correct, they are relatively inexpensive. Less than $2.50 each. Guess I should stock up.

Back