exhaust smoking causes?

Rjwaldron05

XS650 Member
Reaction score
my exhaust for my right cylinder smokes on startup for about 10 minutes, left side is clean. i have a slight oil leak from my head gasket. is this the cause or is this a totally different problem?

Is the smoke a white/blue in color? if so your most likely burning oil, and when the metal heats up its expanding and sealing the slow leak. This should be easily tracked by watching your oil level.

If that is the case you have a gasket gone bad some where in the mix, and its time to do a rebuild on the motor. Have no fear, its fun and not all that hard, just time consuming.

I read somewhere in the 650 centrals site that the valve seals get hard after 30 odd years and weeps oil down the valve. There is a tutorial on how to change the seal with the motor in the bike with a few home made tools(no top end tear down needed). Im thinking I,m going to have to do the same thing on my 81 as it smokes at start up and go's away after the engine warms.

Mostly likely the seals have hardened from old age,if you proceed to replace them,get your new seals off ebay from the guy who sells HP/Products for the XS ,they are a viton seal made to endure the heat cycling, prolonging the seals life

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS65...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35baf67265&vxp=mtr

Can anyone vouch for these? Good results??? Long term?? Better than Mikes???

I'm pretty sure Jack just vouched for them - and he knows his way around an engine...

Back