Farewell to a dear friend (grizld1)

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
E3179720-6D9C-4AD6-AEE0-1CF9D91E3A4F.jpeg

It is with a heavy heart that I pass along the news that Dick Russell, aka grizld1 passed on today. I think many of us knew this was coming. He certainly was a wealth of good information about our beloved motorcycle. I'm going to miss him. Godspeed Dick.

Last edited:
I’ll miss our long talks. RIP
Yeah, I spent a few hours on the phone with him recently. I'm very glad I did. I'm not sure how to put this, but I guess it was good for both of us. He was very philosophical about a lot of things, knowing full well he had little time left. I'm glad we ended that way.

Dick was a very strong supporter of the 650 Society. He contributed tech articles to the newsletter as a routine for many years. He also showed up at 650 Society gatherings regularly. IIRC, in recent years he rode his 650 two-up with his wife from Carbondale, IL to Townsend, TN! Good times!

Yeah, I spent a few hours on the phone with him recently. I'm very glad I did. I'm not sure how to put this, but I guess it was good for both of us. He was very philosophical about a lot of things, knowing full well he had little time left. I'm glad we ended that way.

Dick was a very strong supporter of the 650 Society. He contributed tech articles to the newsletter as a routine for many years. He also showed up at 650 Society gatherings regularly. IIRC, in recent years he rode his 650 two-up with his wife from Carbondale, IL to Townsend, TN! Good times!

Those last hours can never be replaced. They could be, with regret for the rest of your life for the things left unsaid if the call wasn't made. Put it in the +1 box Marty

As mailman said, I to didn't realize he was so sick and even from Griz's posts he indicated there was more time.

Words unsaid will never reach their destination.😢

This is a very sad day. I didn't see it coming.
As Bob said, Dick was an institution here.
He always responded to my various carb questions diligently and thoroughly.

It was less than a week ago that I was almost 100 miles from home in the Southern Tier on my '75 when I thought I was getting an irregular reading on the voltmeter, so I began problem-solving the circumstance in my head while driving. But for some reason I couldn't remember exactly what the charging parameters were that I needed to resolve my question, and it was distracting me from enjoying the excellent sunny-day ride. So I stopped and simply googled my inquiry on the phone, and up popped the answer from many years ago by Griz on the 650 Society pages. "I can always count on Dick to pull me through," I thought.

Rest in peace, my friend.

So sad to hear. Like others I knew he was rehoming his goodies and hanging up his helmet but had no idea this was coming so soon. I didn’t know him well but was always appreciative of his knowledge and willing to help. When I recently bought some parts from him, I wrote him a letter along with my money. It wasn’t much, but I just wanted to thank him for all his contributions to this community and how I appreciated his wanting to find good home for his things. I can’t tell you the last time I actually wrote someone a letter, but I thought Dick would appreciate the personal touch instead of just sending him a DM here.
RIDE IN PEACE GRIZ!!!

I met Dick and Ann at the 2013 VYR rally... I had just arrived at the Stecoah Diner solo when Dick and Ann riding 2 up on thier little XS650 all the way from IL..pulled into the parking lot...I was really impressed with their grit and determination.. I had a pleasant lunch with them at the diner...It was a great rally as well..back in the days when the Halbergs ran the show...RIP Dick...

Attachments

• 006_zps3d0e12cb.jpg
    006_zps3d0e12cb.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
So sad to hear. Like others I knew he was rehoming his goodies and hanging up his helmet but had no idea this was coming so soon. I didn’t know him well but was always appreciative of his knowledge and willing to help. When I recently bought some parts from him, I wrote him a letter along with my money. It wasn’t much, but I just wanted to thank him for all his contributions to this community and how I appreciated his wanting to find good home for his things. I can’t tell you the last time I actually wrote someone a letter, but I thought Dick would appreciate the personal touch instead of just sending him a DM here.
RIDE IN PEACE GRIZ!!!
I'm sure he appreciated that Rob. Dick sent this along with the box of stuff he sent me. Yes, he enjoyed personal touches very much.

1667262708846.png

Back