Favorite Pre and Post muscle cars

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
What's your favorite pre muscle car hot rod, back when men were men and had to build their own hot rods? Pre 1960 models, a few of my faves
'32 Ford High Boy
IMG_5142.JPG

'56 Ford F-100
IMG_5143.JPG

'56 Chevy Bel Air " shoebox"
IMG_5144.JPG

'40 Ford two door sedan
IMG_5145.JPG

Now post 1960, the muscle car era,
'63 split window Vette
IMG_5146.JPG

'69 Road Runner
IMG_5147.JPG

'68 Boss 302 Mustang
IMG_5148.JPG

I went to high school in the early '70's, about the time that a lot of '60's era muscle cars were showing up as used cars. My high school parking lot was filled with muscle cars, they were cheap as chips back then. We all spent our weekends working on each other's cars and racing around like little hooligans! It was a great time to be a teenage boy!
So what old car rings your bell?

Nice selection, Mailman !
I like the teal F-100 the best.
I owned only one muscle car, in the 70's.
A '69 Corvette 350/350 stick in gold.
I've got a picture here, somewhere, but it looked like this:

1913007_e68123a807_low_res.jpg

You should see the community I work in. It's a big retirement community and they have. A car club with this enormous shop with lifts and all the usual shop equipment. There are a bunch of retired baby boomers here that are gear heads from back in the muscle car heyday. They put on car shows in local parking lots and you cannot believe how nice their cars are and how MANY of them there are. Sometimes it feels like there must be a Barret Jackson auction going on in the neighborhood.

You should see the community I work in. It's a big retirement community and they have. A car club with this enormous shop with lifts and all the usual shop equipment. There are a bunch of retired baby boomers here that are gear heads from back in the muscle car heyday. They put on car shows in local parking lots and you cannot believe how nice their cars are and how MANY of them there are. Sometimes it feels like there must be a Barret Jackson auction going on in the neighborhood.
I need to move to your work community!
On second thought, there's those scorpions.......

I built this 29 High Boy when I was in my early 30,s. Back when there was no Pete & Jake, Duece Factory or any of the Kit junk available. That is not a 32 frame, its 3 separate pieces of metal welded together and the crease in the lower rail was heated and hammered into it. Took about 2 mounts to build the frame. I did everything including the paint, chrome prep and motor but the upholstery and top and plating were farmed out. About a dozen street rods later the fad was out of my system and I sold the Hot Rods and bought a Piper Cherokee. Then it was time for Drag Racing. The 66 Nova was my favorite. In my opinion cars, planes, motorcycles etc will never compare to going 100+ on the water and that`s just what I plan on doing again right after I finish my scrambler project. I`ll turn 70 in Nov. so another Drag Boat just seems right.
IMG_0002 (1) (1).jpg
IMG_0003 (1).jpg
IMG_0004 (1).jpg
IMG_0001_Modified (1) (1).jpeg
IMG_0012 (1).jpg

Thanks Mailman. I did find this out of focus and only pic of my first car (57), If you didn`t have on of these in 1963 you were`nt allowed to attend High School. Or so I thought. The little 32 Gasser was neat but I never got to race it at the strip.
IMG_00061.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg

One more post and I`ll give it a rest! In 1988 my (ex) wife went to Europe for a month. Before she left she said there`s plenty of money in the checking account in case of a emergency. What I actually heard was "go ahead and order those Brodix heads, MSD crank trigger, Lunati roller and Enderle Injection" so I did. I went from 11.08 to 9.94 on the first pass. If she had gone for 2 months I would have had it running in the high 8`s
IMG_0005.jpg

The 56 ford is a local E. Ks car and has a 429 SOHC. This really trips my trigger.
facebook_1483208834591.jpg

This to me is what Hot Rodding is all about. A Deuce Coupe with a rocket 88, dual 4`s dovetail haircut and Big late 50`s early 60`s Tits
FB_IMG_1486197474500.jpg

....and man, them are tits! You could poke out an eye on those gals. She looks like she wants to go for a ride!

In high school, I was into the smaller stuff. It was the early-mid-70's and my first car was a 1965 Corvair Corsa - 164 cubes, flat six, 140 HP, 4x1bbl carbs 4 on the floor synchro manual. Think VW beetle with a 2.7 litre flat 6 and nearly unlimited traction. It was a pretty sophistaciated car for its day. There was also a 180 HP turbo version but it was a dog off the line as the turbo didn't begin to boost until around 3500-4000 rpm and it was hard to maintain that in a drag. My pal had one of those and I could eat him alive in a drag. Now, in a freeway roll-on contest, yeah, he had me.

Forget about Nader - the '65 and later cars had a Corvette-style double u-joint rear end with anti-roll bars, coil springs and proper shocks to limit the downward travel of the inside wheel in a turn and prevent tuck-under roll-over crashes.
1965 Corvair Corsa.jpg
Corvair_engine.jpg

Anyhow, you could rev that thing up to the 5200 rpm red line, dump the clutch and simply....disappear...with nearly no wheel spin. I could basically drag anything with a 6 cylinder and any big car with a V-8. Only the V-8 Mustangs, GM F-bodies and Corvettes and the big-engine Mopars could beat me, plus if the LEOs arrived, I could go cross-country and they couldn't follow in their Dodge Polaras.

Nobody I knew ever raced for pinks up here, but I actually won a fair bit of money from snot-nose little pricks who wangled the keys to their Dad's OldsmoBuicks on a Friday evening. They'd pull up and snear..."Whats that?" I'd say brightly, "Its a Corvair." They'd ask about the engine and I would reply, "Its air-cooled, sort of like a VW Beetle, but a bit bigger".

They'd laugh and then I would say, "...but its a fair bit faster than your Gramma's OldsmoBuick there - unless she ordered the really big engine....".

That usually did it.

Oh yeah, the other good thing about the Corvair was that the back seat folded to become...well, sort of a big flat horizontal area....which could be padded with stuff.

Ahhh - the beautiful Beau....

...and its cousin, the Chevelle. These were truly a couple of the most attractive cars of the 1960's IMO.

I like me a 30's Ford with a built Flathead or a Classic aircooled VW Type 1,2 or 3 with an 1776 engine with a couple of Webers or Del'Orto's on tall manifolds...

67 Camaro. :heart: love that car. I have never owned one. But this is the car if I could have, I would.
I think a wealthy cousin tried to give me one of these that he never got around to working on. Didn't take it that way till long after.

MY favorite is 1968 Mercury Cougar. Lots rarer and cheaper. Better looking, for me.

BB13_r569_01.jpg

Halfmile, you win the prize for the best toys! That Nova dragster is awesome and I love the drag boats. Building motorcycles must seem like tinker toys after those.

Pete, those Corvairs have become quite collectible. A friend of mine in high school had one.

Robin, I came so so close to owning a Chevelle back in the 70's, a friend of mine had one and wanted to trade me for my 1960 Chevy stepside pickup.

And AzMan , I have always loved hot rodded flat heads, they don't make huge power but they look so darned cool!
image.jpeg

There's a 50's style diner nearby and every other Sat night they hold a car show open to all and everything could show up. Dealer new cars to something dragged out of a barn that morning and got running. A project in progress or finally finished custom rod or resto. Flatty to the lastest LS Chevy. 1 to 16 cylinders. View attachment 103195 20170701_201657.jpg 20170701_201728.jpg 20170701_203040.jpg View attachment 103195

Not to get too far off the topic but did anyone have Go Karts?? I always had a Kart before I turned 14 and could legally drive then got back into them in 2008. Easy hobby to get out of control on for sure. Or maybe it`s just me. Fun though!
Basement CONCEPT 003-1.JPG Basement CONCEPT 007.JPG Basement CONCEPT 011-1.JPG Springfield 2012 023.JPG

Back