Fender Preservation Coating

Paul Sutton

I Collect Fingers
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have a fender with pretty good chrome. However, the underside is covered in rust. The rust is easy to remove but then what do I do? What coatings are currently being used on the underside to prevent further rusting and to withstand the impact of grit?

Thank you for any suggestions Guys.

https://www.truevalue.com/8-oz-rust...pla-294682000766&ctfeedid=&ctnwk=g&ctdevice=c

This stuff definitely, no other option for me. Rustoleum Rust Reformer. This is not a paint, it is a treatment for rust. You wire brush or sand the rusty surface, just removing anything loose, clean with alcohol or acetone, brush this stuff on, it has the consistency of water. After it is dry you can mask off and spray on undercoating. I have done inside of headlight buckets with no paint afterwards, no rust after 20+ years. I have also done fenders, chain guards and used undercoating over the Rust Reformer. I have done spokes with Rust Reformer and brushed on paint too. Like I said, no other option for me after seeing how long this stuff lasts.

Scott

I use this truck bed paint. Very durable stuff.

index.jpg

I have a fender with pretty good chrome. However, the underside is covered in rust. The rust is easy to remove but then what do I do? What coatings are currently being used on the underside to prevent further rusting and to withstand the impact of grit?
Thank you for any suggestions Guys.

Hi Paul,
I'd go multi-coat.
After the rust is removed, first a coat of Zinc-rich primer then like 650guy sez , a coat of rubberized underseal.
Guess you'll be trotting down to Halfords soon?
[edit] OK I've never heard of Scott's jollop but yeah, that first.
Then the Zinc rich primer. And bed liner instead of underseal?
Or bed liner then underseal? The rear fender lives a hard life so why not?

Last edited:
I am currently restoring my XS2, it came from a dry climate and the rust was minimal. The underside of the fenders had moderate rust pitting that I was able to remove with steel wool, which left a fairly bright and natural appearance. Like you I wished to preserve that, so I cleaned it real good with paint thinner and then sprayed clear Rustoleum on it. It came out really nice and still has the bright appearance of the original chrome but is well protected from rust.

I wrote about this here, scroll down in post #645 .
http://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-sympathetic-restoration.51520/page-33
7D53372B-776B-4F4A-BED3-D0939CF6B637.jpeg

Nice answers Guys. So it will be loose rust removal followed by rust treatment followed by a zinc rich primer and then something tough for on top. Once I sort out the top coat I will need to change the engine oil. What oil should I be using ?

Thank you for the guidance.

+1 on the Rubberized undercoating, rockerpanel or truckbed liner. You won't see it and it will be the toughest finish you can get for that application.

I used rockerpanel spray on mine. Removed as much rust as i could with a wire brush. Some rust is fine. Followed by 2 coats of primer and a heavy layer of rocker panel spray. Good as new.

As for the oil.......:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

upload_2018-10-25_15-58-36.png

Got one cleaned and primed. Now to find that truckbed topcoat. Got some questions about PMAs, but they will have to wait for now.

Thanks again.

https://www.truevalue.com/8-oz-rust...pla-294682000766&ctfeedid=&ctnwk=g&ctdevice=c

This stuff definitely, no other option for me. Rustoleum Rust Reformer. This is not a paint, it is a treatment for rust. You wire brush or sand the rusty surface, just removing anything loose, clean with alcohol or acetone, brush this stuff on, it has the consistency of water. After it is dry you can mask off and spray on undercoating. I have done inside of headlight buckets with no paint afterwards, no rust after 20+ years. I have also done fenders, chain guards and used undercoating over the Rust Reformer. I have done spokes with Rust Reformer and brushed on paint too. Like I said, no other option for me after seeing how long this stuff lasts.

Scott

Just want to add, there is no good reason to spray primer between the Rust Reformer and undercoating or bed liner.

I am currently restoring my XS2, it came from a dry climate and the rust was minimal. The underside of the fenders had moderate rust pitting that I was able to remove with steel wool, which left a fairly bright and natural appearance. Like you I wished to preserve that, so I cleaned it real good with paint thinner and then sprayed clear Rustoleum on it. It came out really nice and still has the bright appearance of the original chrome but is well protected from rust.

I wrote about this here, scroll down in post #645 .
http://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-sympathetic-restoration.51520/page-33
View attachment 128366

That aint rust. Looks like a minor acne problem.

Scott

Back