Filter cover gasket

tommytwohands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there,

Wondering what you all use for the circular oil filter cover gasket? Makeshift gasket material? First oil change and it took a decent amount of torque with rods in both cover holes to remove, being careful not to go deep as to engage the threads. Gasket couldn’t handle it.

Also, the oil filter screen listed on MikeXS doesn’t list the 83 as being compatible. Anyone else with this bike know where to get a reliable filter? Will be cleaning this one and reusing

Thanks,
Tommy

This gasket, if installed properly (no sealer, just oil it), can be reused many, many times and will last almost indefinitely. For that reason, I just buy a replacement. I change it and the little gasket under that side filter when I get the bike, then almost never after that. But do buy spares just in case you do damage one during an oil change and filter cleaning.

The '83 uses the same filters as all the other years. Don't know why it isn't listed in the description. Yes, I have an '83 so know first hand.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1311872745 is the filter off ebay
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5241c303f870023904b3020d/crankcase-cover-right

go to patzilla or babbits and input you 650's year and just cut and paste the parts number and Google them and you'll come up with a bunch of sources for parts
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500423dff8700209bc787bd5/oil-pump
Edit : a good source for drain plug crush washers
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/an900.php make sure you get the

AN900-19-291-3/16$1.59

Last edited:
This gasket, if installed properly (no sealer, just oil it), can be reused many, many times and will last almost indefinitely. For that reason, I just buy a replacement. I change it and the little gasket under that side filter when I get the bike, then almost never after that. But do buy spares just in case you do damage one during an oil change and filter cleaning.

The '83 uses the same filters as all the other years. Don't know why it isn't listed in the description. Yes, I have an '83 so know first hand.
2B7CC8AC-BCF5-42B8-B53B-325DE0D2EC66.jpeg

C513B2C3-9BDC-462B-8F6D-BC601C617FF4.jpeg

I imagine I couldn’t throw some oil on the cover and case sides and ride until a new gasket comes ?

-Tommy

If it don't leak
Looks like you might have enough gasket left to get by ?

Yes, it might work. When you do get the new gaskets, you'll have to clean every last bit of the old one out of there. It's going to be a bitch and will have you cursing out the P.O., lol. Use multiple applications of paint stripper on the old gasket. It will soften it and practically melt it away so it will come off with just gentle scraping. This should insure you do no damage to the soft aluminum sealing surfaces.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1311872745 is the filter off ebay
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5241c303f870023904b3020d/crankcase-cover-right

go to patzilla or babbits and input you 650's year and just cut and paste the parts number and Google them and you'll come up with a bunch of sources for parts
Edit : https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500423dff8700209bc787bd5/oil-pump
Edit : a good source for drain plug crush washers
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/an900.php make sure you get the

AN900-19-291-3/16$1.59
If it don't leak
Looks like you might have enough gasket left to get by ?
Thanks for you links, Mikey. Drain plug washers look quality to me but I will get some for the future! Shipping on MikeXS is a high for me but I have some other things to get some maybe bulk buy is the way to go

Yes, it might work. When you do get the new gaskets, you'll have to clean every last bit of the old one out of there. It's going to be a bitch and will have you cursing out the P.O., lol. Use multiple applications of paint stripper on the old gasket. It will soften it and practically melt it away so it will come off with just gentle scraping. This should insure you do no damage to the soft aluminum sealing surfaces.
Roger that 5twins, thanks a bunch!

Thanks for you links, Mikey. Drain plug washers look quality to me but I will get some for the future! Shipping on MikeXS is a high for me but I have some other things to get some maybe bulk buy is the way to go
Edit: I would order a dozen or 2 of the drain plug washers to offset the shipping from Aircraft Spruce (Mike's are junk to hard and thick)
I never reuse the washers just because of their cost and now I only remove 1 washer during oil change as I always take off the sump plate to see what the sump filter might have caught

Edit: I would order a dozen or 2 of the drain plug washers to offset the shipping from Aircraft Spruce (Mike's are junk to hard and thick)
I never reuse the washers just because of their cost and now I only remove 1 washer during oil change as I always take off the sump plate to see what the sump filter might have caught
Gotcha, I just reused them. Will order a handful for replacements in the future I was going to check the sump filter, have that gasket on hand already.
Could you just keep the front drain bolt and washer on and take out the 6 sump plate screws and drain the oil that way?

Yes, but it's messy, lol. Pulling only one drain plug gets like 95% of the oil out, there's still a couple ounces left in there. That will belch all out around the sump plate when you remove it. I'm usually able to get several uses out of each drain plug washer before they're squashed totally flat and need replacing.

One of the best drain plug washers I've run across are the red bakelite ones included in the Athena full engine gasket set, they last practically forever. Only problem is you need to buy that full gasket set to get them, I've never seen them sold alone. I've had the same one on my rear drain plug for over 10 years and it's still sealing fine. The front plug one changes all the time because I have extra sump plate and filter assemblies I swap in at oil changes.

:agree: I really don't ever buy from Mikes I can usually to a Google search to get most of what I need
or someone here might be able to point me in the right direction to find a part or alternative source such as for bolts etc

Aircraft Spruce has a very nice copper crush washer, perfect for the drain plug. Search the forum as it’s listed here several times.

The rear plug drains a large area where sludge can build up bad. I remove it first, expecting the whoosh of oil coming out will help rinse that area clean

Well, I'd have to say my 2nd favorite drain plug washers are the ones from Mike's. They're a little bigger and fatter than the Aircraft Spruce ones, and totally enclosed (Aircraft Spruce ones are partially open on one side). Being fatter, I think you get a few more uses out of them too. Years back, when Mike's prices were better and I ordered from him more often, I'd always add a couple packs of these to my orders. Now that they're like $5 a pair, I don't buy them anymore, lol.

with Mikes being so thick and too stiff for me I was afraid of having to over torque them to get them to seal
I like Aircraft Spruce better and if they are good enough for an airplane they gotta be good

Gotcha, I just reused them. Will order a handful for replacements in the future I was going to check the sump filter, have that gasket on hand already.
Could you just keep the front drain bolt and washer on and take out the 6 sump plate screws and drain the oil that way?
If you have never taken a look at the sump filter it's going to have a rear or two in it
They can be repaired and re used
Just search sump filter on this site and you will find a bunch of ways guys have come up with a fix and a stronger filter in the end

One of the best drain plug washers I've run across are the red bakelite ones included in the Athena full engine gasket set, they last practically forever. Only problem is you need to buy that full gasket set to get them, I've never seen them sold alone. I've had the same one on my rear drain plug for over 10 years and it's still sealing fine. The front plug one changes all the time because I have extra sump plate and filter assemblies I swap in at oil changes.
5T are you referring to the type of washer that is used in electrical applications?

Back