Finding Peter Egan

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
If you spent endless days thumbing through all the old motorcycle magazines , as I did, you no doubt knew who Peter Egan is. Like many others, I was a huge fan of Mr. Egan and looked forward to his monthly articles , his wit and his humor. When he abruptly retired years ago, making some veiled references to his health, I was concerned that he was gravely ill. Today just on a whim I started searching online to see if I could find out how he’s doing. I found a very good article from two years ago. If you are a fan it might interest you.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/03/08/finding-peter-egan

“Only a few years ago, he wouldn’t have had the energy for such a schedule. He struggled with a delayed onset of Hepatitis C that he’d acquired from a dirty immunization injector while in the infantry in Vietnam. Interferon treatments wiped him out for months at a time, but a new medication has cured him completely and restored his vitality. “I spent about a year of my life feeling really sick,” said Peter. “Now I feel great.”

709D5897-67C0-480E-819B-78B47A504E52.jpeg CFB3BE5B-C881-4FFA-A50B-8018B11FA91C.jpeg Long live Peter Egan! :thumbsup:

I can't remember exactly, but I think the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) magazine said that he was going to write a few columns for it. They really changed their format this year. Like you Bob, I always looked forward to his columns and Kevin Cameron's too.

I'm partway through a book/ collection of best of Peter Egan articles essays etc. I received as a gift. Like fine wine it's best savored "a glass at a time". I've seen Pete a time or two at slimy crud runs. And also looked forward to his article in cycle, auto enthusiast, and general aviation magazines.

Puts a smile on my face to recall reading his articles in Cycle World :) When I did subscribe to that magazine, it was one of my favourite columns. Do you guys remember the article about measuring a gearhead's enthusiasm level by the number of cylinders in his possession? The guys with the radial engine aircraft apparently always won that contest. Great reading!

Puts a smile on my face to recall reading his articles in Cycle World :) When I did subscribe to that magazine, it was one of my favourite columns. Do you guys remember the article about measuring a gearhead's enthusiasm level by the number of cylinders in his possession? The guys with the radial engine aircraft apparently always won that contest. Great reading!
My brothers adopted a "cylinder index" after that article. One brother had 30 once.

Back