Finding the correct speedometer cable

Joebuddy

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I restored a 1978 XS650SE a few years ago and I'm going back to do a few things I never got just right.
The first is the speedometer cable, it is not long enough to put through the loop attached to the front finder. It is the cable that came with the bike. Other wise it fits and works, just not long enough. I found a part number on Partzilla, 341-83440-01-00 for that model but of course it's not available from Yamaha. Does anyone know if that is correct?
I find cables available on eBay and Mike's XS but don't know if they are the right length. The cable I have is 90mm tip to tip. (not long enough)
Next, I've found a wire and cable diagram on this website. http://www.biker.net/650_service/650service main.html
which is very helpful to anyone trying to put a bike back original. I found that I had several things incorrect since I total disassembled this bike to paint the frame and reassemble it. One of which is the proper routing of handle bar switch wires. When I run them correctly they aren't quite long enough by a few inches. I assume I have the correct handle bars, could the wire have shrunk over time? I could add length to the wire easly enough but I'm not sure how to replace the shinny black tubing that covers the wires. I have used shrink tubing before but that not a great match to what came from the factory. Has anyone found a source for a similar product?

Last edited:
Still trying to sort out the correct cable for my 1978 XS650SE speedometer, The part listed for that bike only fits these other bikes: (341-83440-01)
1978 XS650SE SPEEDOMETER TACHOMETER

1978 XS650SE-11 SPEEDOMETER TACHOMETER

1979 XS650SF SPEEDOMETER TACHOMETER

1980 XS650SG SPEEDOMETER TACHOMETER

At looks like most 650 models have the same cable when I look at the pictures of them, but this part# fits just a couple of years. I would order one off Mikes XS if I knew it would fit however their reference part # is not the same??

If you still have not got one you need a 99cm one, i got mine from wemoto in the uk it's a slinky glide one and their part number is SR 125 SE (92-94) you can get them from ebay as wemoto have a shop on there and they are cheap enough.

Last edited:
Back