First Attempt at a Build

How much of a difference do you have there in space left and existing spacer width?

My preference would be to make a proper spacer. Spreading the axle plates is asking for binding issues. Too long a spacer, or too short a spacer, likewise will cause binding issues when the axle is tightened. I'd shoot for a spacer about .5mm less than the existing space. It might be possible to stack washers for mock-up purposes (depends on the thicknesses available and your luck).

BTW - good progress!

Last edited:
How much of a difference do you have there in space left and existing spacer width?

My preference would be to make a proper spacer. Spreading the axle plates is asking for binding issues. Too long a spacer, or too short a spacer, likewise will cause binding issues when the axle is tightened. I'd shoot for a spacer about .5mm less than the existing space. It might be possible to stack washers for mock-up purposes (depends on the thicknesses available and your luck).

BTW - good progress!
Exactly what I was thinking...mock it up without any stress on it, using washers for perfect alignment. Measure the stack of washers after you remove them...take to local machine shop to have a proper custom spacer made. Shouldn't be very expensive to have made.

Thanks for all the responses. Once I see them I usually run out to the garage so that’s why I don’t respond quickly.

I mocked everything up with washers of varying thickness then transferred that measurement to a steel bushing from Lowes and cut it to size. According to my feeler gauges I have a .025 gap. I don’t know if that considered good enough but I don’t like it.

I’m a little frustrated so I’m going to give it a rest for the day.

Tomorrows plan is to cut the stock spacer a bit larger than my measurement then ever so slowly use the bench grinder to take a little off, see if it fits, and repeat until I get it.

....I have a .025 gap. I don’t know if that considered good enough but I don’t like it.
If you're saying .025" (twenty five thousands of an inch) total all the way across the axle, that's more than good enough. The rear of the frame will easily suck in that much.
Hell, the paint on the frame will almost take care of that.

Have to strongly disagree here. Usually the frame is welded with a spacer between the axle plates, a spacer the same size as the stock axle assembly width. Of course it needs to be spread some to fit those parts back in before tightening.

You guys really think that the frame tubes will kink or maybe break a weld if they're nudged apart .020"-.030" ? If that does happen then he was f'd before starting, and good to find out now. SHIT, it won't happen.

If the hardtail unit was welded on without a spacer between the axle plates things are going to change. You need 8.5 inches min. between the axle plates.....

tim

Well, I've had bikes where you had to spread the ass end apart a smidge to fit the wheel and spacers in there... and I've had bikes where there was a slight gap that got sucked up when you tightened the axle.
None of them fell apart or were otherwise unusable. My opinion is a .025" gap.... about as much as 2 credit cards ain't gonna hurt a thing. The tubing back there is more than capable of flexing that much.
.... and changing tires will be much easier. ;)

I haven't had to post here asking questions in a while....the search feature works wonders. Seems like every issue I've run into, someone else somewhere had the same issue. I guess I'm not as special as my mom said. But, I couldn't find a great answer for this one.

I bought the Hugh's Handbuilt complete ignition system, and am just about ready to start wiring it up. It came with instructions that I think are pretty clear as well as a wiring diagram. Only thing is, I will also be wiring up my lights and there isn't anything in the instructions about tying it into the lights. So, below I attached a wiring diagram which I put together after looking at others in the tech section that seemed close to what I was trying to do. My goal is to be able to turn the key to "on" and be able to start the bike without power going to the lights. I'd like the key switch to also act as the kill switch. Then, turn the key to "accessory" and have the lights come on. I plan on only running a headlight with Hi/Low Beam and a brake/taillight. FYI, I haven't a clue about electricity other than reading about it online and watching YouTube videos, so please explain things like I'm a toddler if you can.
Also, in this diagram, everything below the horizontal dotted line is the way Hugh instructs it to be wired up (I don't really understand how the key switch cuts power though), and everything above is my half-baked idea. Any thoughts on whether this will work, or how to achieve what I'm after?

IMG_3890.jpg

Funny you mention this, I was just looking at this one to run battery-less with a Hughs CDI.

Its a little different because its a PMA in the diagram, but same principle I think.

1679625071855.png

Original poster wrote: "I always use this one when doing a kick only, pma and capacitor. Fuse block is available at a napa. Just add another cir unit from the fuse block if needed".

Back