First highway run; engine bogs at 60

disconnect the cable....If you must ride with it.

No it shouldn't hurt the gauge......it is a magnet that creates the needle movement so there are no connected parts to damage.
Not a good pic..........
Photo114 copy.jpg
Removal of Bezel
http://www.xs650.com/threads/74-83-bezel-removal-70-73-bezel-removal-gauge-repairs.52013/

If you do this, when replacing the screws on the face use a small drop of nail polish under the screw head and just snug the screws......if they are done tight the face plate cracks.

Last edited:
Tz, ......and the same problem could happen within the same period as this one, (sorry Jim not trying to do you out of beer money),.........Simple repair at no cost........all that you could loose is some time if it doesn't work out........... and gain a whole heap of knowledge if you use the info in post #181

I’ll try your bezel surgury, but if it DOESNT work out, it will be nice to have a spare to throw on. For 20.00 it’s a steal anyway. As you said, I’ll be out time, but when I only get a few months a year of good riding weather and bike rallies to show her off, time is a valuable commodity. I would rather blow a 20.00 and have a spare speedo than eat Panera for lunch two times in a week. I want to have a working speedo before I hopefully take the bike to the J&P cycles rally later this Month.

Good to know about those 5mm thick cam seals. When I intalled my 6mm they were in my opinion too close to the end of the polished zone, but being double lipped I assume at least one will seal.

Still havent received my pamco ignition yet, but after a test fit of all the other components I realized the coil boots I bought from O’Reilly’s are too big to fit snuggly on the Andrews coil I bought. I was thinking of solutions to covering the yellow plug wires, because I don’t like the bright yellow wth the rest of the bike. I thought maybe I could just put black shrink wrap over them. Wouldn’t black shrink wrap work just as well to insulate the plug wires to the coil as those rubber boots? Killing two birds with one stone is always a good thing.

I didnt say anything about spray paint; I’m wondering if putting black shrink wrap tubing around the yellow plug wires to cover the yellow could also double as a way to seal the wire ends into the red andrews coil leads by overlapping the heat shrink onto the coil leads and actually shrinking it down afyer the wires are in the position they’ll be in.

...I’m wondering if putting black shrink wrap tubing around the yellow plug wires to cover the yellow could also double as a way to seal the wire ends into the red andrews coil leads by overlapping the heat shrink onto the coil leads and actually shrinking it down afyer the wires are in the position they’ll be in.

I don't see a problem with that. Just avoid overheating while shrinking. My XS1Bs had black protective sleeves over the plug wires. I used fuel line over the plug wires. Protects from heat and chafing...
XS1B-PlugWireJacket.jpg

Back