First highway run; engine bogs at 60

tzimmerm, you've fallen into a trap that can snare even guys with a bit of experience. When you buy an old bike with problems, the worst and most frustrating thing you can do is to try to logic out the cause. The easiest and quickest way to get the machine running right is the one that looks hardest and most time consuming: go through every system and make sure it's right. Start with the electrics; pull every connector and clean it up, check voltage drop through switches, ohm out ignition coils, service points (clean, gap, and time), check charging system. Clean the carbs and do it right; 5twins and I wrote the "XS650 Garage USA Carb Guide," and you can find a link to it in the Tech menu. Take the tank off, remove the petcocks, flush the tank with high pressure water at the car wash, and flush it again with denatured alcohol to take up any remaining water. If old rubber gas lines are still in place, replace them. Replace old brake lines; recommended service life is only 4 years, and I can't count the number of bikes I've seen running around with 40 year old lines still on them. Adjust valves, and check the clearance with a dial indicator; if the valve stem is cupped a feeler gauge will read the edge, not the contact. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

You can find all sorts of butchery and stupidity inflicted on used machinery. Expect it!

Last edited:
Agreed Griz............Thats why i jumped into the thread in post #109. I could see so many suggestions, and no disrespect to anyone, and the thread was getting into the realms of theory for solutions that was only confusing and disrupting the OP's need for a direction to keep him on a organized path. there is a situation on here lately where so many people are posting to many alternatives and a lot of off the point conversation is hijacked by off topic conversations between others,when the Po needs to be guided on solutions that pertain to the problem at hand...........

Members arn't reading the OP and setting them straight on what process is required for their, (OP), level of ability and to point them to threads based around that level........

The tech Menu has these "new to you bikes" and "what to do to a new acquisition", "trouble shooting guide", basic electrical tutorials and it seems, well not seems , it just in;t done any more, that is the posting up of the links or directing the OP to the tech and basing the question and answers around getting the OP to do the necessarily work to make the bike reliable................it all seems to be working from the middle and later instead of the beginning and step by step process......

Read through all these links.......this is where to start............and as mentioned by Griz, the whole electrical loom need to be thoroughly gone over from end to end using a Mutimeter and continuity test all wires between each connection, switch, coupling, and all grounds/earth. Clean corrosion, check solder joints and replace bullet.connectors, (if needed), or old crumbling couplings and the spade connectors in the couplings. Dismantle all bar switches and check solder joints ans clean all contacts..................This above can also be done as a project in stages while still riding the bike.........as long as there is no immediate problem that may be solved by doing this completely

http://www.xs650.com/threads/guide-...checklist-for-the-condition-of-your-find.367/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bike-wont-start-running-rough.390/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/troubleshooting.2736/

http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-happens-when-you-turn-your-key-on.9625/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-harness-musings.18925/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/grounds-so-important.41775/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/expanded-charging-system-guide-in-progress.10561/
http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm

http://www.xs650.com/threads/carbs-carburetors.43/.

Honestly this is where you should be going back to and starting over again............reorganize and some times it is better to not think this is my problem a then chase the thought ...........but think.................lets eliminate this as a possible cause and is doing so you are ensuring that part worked on is working to it's optimin and so on......sure you may be able to skip and jump to another area but work that area till it is finished...........if the problem persists........then go back to the troubleshooting guide and rework another angle.
these links above are done by reputable knowledgeable people who know what they are talking about........

0A441415-88DD-4477-B7EE-22A52D988BDA.png
C119C1EB-F085-4799-AB97-0AB6755E225F.png
Ok. So I read through almost all of those links. I had read a few of them multiple times before I even bought this bike. The PO rode it over to my place, since I didnt yet have my MC License, so it wasn’t like it was a barn find. And until I tried running down the interstate, I had no reason at all to think it had any issues. I am buying a compression tester today, JUST because it is on the list. And a timing light. Those are two tools I don’t own and they’re going to cost me around 75.00. So my problem very well could be that the timing is off, or that there is some issue with the advance. But everything else on the “new to you” list I have done- Changed the oil, both filters, (the sump WAS blown; no fuel smell, no plastic cam guide chunks at all, a few metal shavings, but the starter grinds and only engages half the time so I figure it’s that. I still have the starter and gear train I took off my chopper, so that’s a project for next winter). Replaced the tires, cables, rebuilt the front brake, I have now inspected the carb boots and done the Carb slide test. Again, I don’t have a timing light, and I don’t know points, so I have done everything in my power that I can do so far. As far as I am concerned, most of the potential issues causing my problem, and most of the troubleshootimg work I have ahead of me pertain to the mechanical ignition/advance system. I got tired of re-reading through all of the posts and threads to collect all of the quotes I wanted to slap up in this post, but the screenshots above and the quotes I DID paste here should say enough. I’m sorry if I offend anyone but after reading all these posts, I am of the opinion: Fuck points and mechanical advance. Almost half the things on my “list” to check/clean/calibrate/possibly replace are part of these systems. Two coils, the points themselves, condenser, etc. I would need to buy a dwell meter. The more I read and learned through posts about timing and ignition, the more benefits I saw to a modern, simplified system like Pamco. Other than the fact that it’s already on the bike, I don’t really see any benefits to sticking with the old stuff. Hell, Yamaha stopped putting points and mech advance in these bikes for the last 5 years of their production. Why? Because they moved on to something better/more reliable. Why should I torture myself with this outdated Crap? I’m going with my original plan and buying a Pamco with e-advance. I’ll have a new coil with a hotter spark and won’t have to worry about oil leaks messing with my points, checking advance weights/springs, burnt points, adjusting and syncing, etc. What a pointless pain in the ass. Lol no pun intended. Ironic actually. So- I’ll check back in with everyone after I get my carbs back from Rick. My seal and gasket kits are due to be here by the weekend, as will the timing light and compression gauge I’m ordering. I will replace the seals, install the fresh pretty carbs, and set the timing after I’ve properly set the cam chain tension and valve clearances. That will be most everything on the list. If it still doesn’t run right after that, then it probably is the advance or points, or some component of that overly complicated setup, and I’ll pull that junk off and buy a Pamco immediately.
The main benefit is not having to adjust timing and points all the time. The 650 points system works but not as well as some of the systems on other old bikes I have. Those others don't require nearly as much maintenance as the 650 did. You will also get the benefit of a stronger spark because of the new stronger coil you'll be running.

I love my pamco starts first kick everytime.

I swap em to Pamco (3 so far, 2 with e-advance) I like Accel 140403 coils.
Like 5 twins says points take some fiddling.
Watch the points, if one or both make bright sparks you have bad condenser(s)

Mine was a tci,now that I,m running the Pamco the bike fires up easier(lower voltage needed to start)and the bike runs stronger than ever.I highly recommend the set it and forget it Pamco system.:bike:

You are following the very basic guidelines for determining TDC on a motor, any motor, but you needn't do that on your XS if you just learn what the factory marks mean. Granted, not all factory shop manual stuff is right, but this basic stuff is. If you really want to worry about something, concern yourself more with matching the points gap on each set of points to one another, and then matching the idle timing fire point on each cylinder. This is quite the chore, and quite the hair pulling experience.

But it can be done. You need good tools though. You need a timing light and you ABSOLUTELY need a dwell meter. If you elect to live and SUFFER with the factory dual points system, you need a dwell meter to set the points accurately. I know, others will argue and disagree with me. I've encountered this on other sites for other bikes that use points. For as knowledgeable as they think they are, they just don't fully understand the workings of a points type ignition. Or more correctly, they don't understand how used, pitted points can't be gapped with a feeler gauge any more.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHY BOTHER WITH POINTS?!

Last edited:
960D4803-1C70-455B-983C-68AB8DAE2E5D.png
I am getting a cart together for an order off amazon. Can anyone tell me if I need a timing light with advance? Here is the description of two models from the same company.-
The Innova 3551 entry level Inductive Timing Light works with most ignition systems (DIS, conventional, electronic and computer controlled systems - domestic and import), providing a simple and efficient means to check timing, diagnose a no-spark condition and more.
The Innova 3555 Advance Timing Light features a direct reading advance dial that adjusts from 0-60 degrees; enabling the user to check base timing and advance or retard timing. This timing light works with most ignition systems (conventional, electronic and computer controlled systems - domestic and import) with a patented skip circuitry to test up to 9,990 RPM.

Also, I was reading in the forum about coils to use with Pamco, and it looks like a few people used this coil. Any comments or suggestions? Amazon has the 5k resistance caps too, so I was thinking it would be nice to just get everything in one order in two days with free shipping rather than wait a week for mikes coil, and pay shipping, and still source wires. Maybe prime is spoiling me but mikes has really got to do something about lowering their shipping costs for customers. It’s ridiculous.

I have always used a basic timing light in combination with feeler gauges and a screwdriver. I was always satisfied with the results on my XS1B, RD250 and the current SH. The one thing I sometimes wish I had was an electronic tachometer to accurately set idle at 1200rpm for a timing check, but I have survived OK without it.

My current timing light is an "Accuspark" which sells for £12 - £20 in the UK:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...711560&hash=item1c98c8ddae:g:eboAAOSwc2FaEZOV

Last edited:
5Twins, I ordered the andrews coil and the Pamco with e advance. I have resister caps from amazon. Where did you source the little black wire insulators in your pics at the coil?

You don't need (or want) a timing light with the advance feature.
Oops misinterpreted!

5t why wouldn't he want/need to use a light to check timing on a pamco with e-advance? :umm: (any ignition)
Gary; just had to adjust timing when I changed from an old copper cap to the "new style" aluminum cam/advance rod locator.
Hearing a 750 trying to spin the starter backwards, scary stuff.:yikes:

Last edited:
I think 5Twins was saying I don’t want a timing light that has an advance feature, not that I don’t want a timing light with a pamco that has an advance feature. Look at my earlier post he was replying to.

Yes, that's what I meant - you want/need a timing light, just not one with that advance feature. Those black caps on the plug wires at the coil came with the plug wires. I never had to shop for any because of that, but they're just a standard part used on most automotive plug wires where they plug into the distributor cap. You might be able to find them at an auto parts store .....

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...1a778a/bwd-7mm-coil-boot/ct505/2595053?pos=43

57871B90-EDB0-4C5A-9E15-1BC00525B5D7.jpeg
Okay 5Twins, how do I attach these plug wires to this coil? I ordered the yellow wires from mikes and they’re not the same size as the holes in the coil. Does that matter?

No, just crimp. Go on youtube, there's lots of vids about installing them.

Ok thanks. Lol after I buy these crimps and boots I will have spent the little I saved on this coil over the mike’s coil.
EDIT: Okay nevermind. Got them ordered for Monday (our local store didn't have any in stock) .55 a piece.

Last edited:
AD9D8C78-7850-475D-B11E-62DA0F4F29C4.jpeg
04F6C53E-A441-44E1-BC40-1F876E083909.jpeg
In other news, carbs are on their way back, due here by Monday. Rick said the floats were at 27 and 29, instead of 25, which he thought would be starving the bike. That may have been my problem. Pete said he’s still building a new batch but my pamco should be out next week as well.

Last edited:
Back