First Impression: the 1980 XS650 Special II

I have to admit I had a summer job as a sheetmetal mechanic in 1971, and then a year in the shipyard, again sheetmetal 1972-3. Ah, but the tools then were on site in a place far away and long ago. I still like the C-clamp idea over the all-thread. Jaws of life; any firemen around?
I shall a list of hardware items and visit one. Compare some prices with Harbor Freight, and find the basic requirements in the tool category I could really use. I did see the lathe thread and was abashed. I haven't known a garage since 1972 but enjoy the outdoors. Time compresses and big jobs don't fit well within. Small steps are required until I remember what I forgot. :devilish:
So maybe some highlights to come will be the photos of the new battery, the condition of the wiring system and components, and updates on progress. All in due time, lest we forget our blessings. The harvest was good this year! Thanks.
'TT'

Pouring down rain outdoors. Best garage space I can come to. I reviewed all the comments made on the other threads since I logged out yesterday, before I logged in today. On days without constant rain I usually get at least 45 minutes to shimmy and wipe, even when it rains after. On good days it can be two to three hours at a time. I have never been away for more than two days without a full inspection, hands on wipe down, and fiddling with something out there. I put wraps around the Bullet electronics on the handlebars. Due to the bucket gap on the "Beauty" I have a full cover, but I hate these. They provide a moisture trap and an attitude tempting toward neglect of daily maintenance or inspection. Better to let it be washed and wiped down asap after each rain. Birds are the main instigators with harmful droppings, and leafage can also present dangers of paint and chrome discoloration. If my habitual regularity of daily attendance to inspections spells some chronic phobia in me, the contagion may be beneficial. :thumbsup:

I'm unclear what logging onto this forum log has to do with issues you are having with a Tennessee county clerks site?
No credit card info kept or used here 'less you want to contribute, and I think trav takes paypal payments which avoid exposure of credit (or debit) card info.

No credit card info kept or used here 'less you want to contribute, and I think trav takes paypal payments which avoid exposure of credit (or debit) card info.
Correct. There's not much in the way of value to hacking this forum. As for dropping little turds in your computer to steal passwords and such.... that's gonna depend on the security of your browser, OS (and OS updates) and whatever virus protection you use. In the 4 yrs I've been a member here, I've never seen anything nefarious sent my way. I recon I'm safe enough.

Correct. There's not much in the way of value to hacking this forum. As for dropping little turds in your computer to steal passwords and such.... that's gonna depend on the security of your browser, OS (and OS updates) and whatever virus protection you use. In the 4 yrs I've been a member here, I've never seen anything nefarious sent my way. I recon I'm safe enough.
I like the recon attitude. I am busily deleting my comments today between 63 and 71. The members that already know will suffice. Thanks.

Pouring down rain outdoors. Best garage space I can come to. I reviewed all the comments made on the other threads since I logged out yesterday, before I logged in today. On days without constant rain I usually get at least 45 minutes to shimmy and wipe, even when it rains after. On good days it can be two to three hours at a time. I have never been away for more than two days without a full inspection, hands on wipe down, and fiddling with something out there. I put wraps around the Bullet electronics on the handlebars. Due to the bucket gap on the "Beauty" I have a full cover, but I hate these. They provide a moisture trap and an attitude tempting toward neglect of daily maintenance or inspection. Better to let it be washed and wiped down asap after each rain. Birds are the main instigators with harmful droppings, and leafage can also present dangers of paint and chrome discoloration. If my habitual regularity of daily attendance to inspections spells some chronic phobia in me, the contagion may be beneficial. :thumbsup:

Use a water disperment all over/under/in the bike if your bike is where any moisture will get to it. I buy WD40 in a 4 liter container and use a spray bottle to spray the whole bike. Especially if i have been caught or ride in the rain. I combine it with a lanolin oil, (also buy in bulk), and this mixture is all i use on the bikes to keep them clean and polished. Living 1 street from the beach salt and water is the enemy, by using this spray it kills and stops rust and corrosion. Doesn't do any damage to paint either.

I never wash the bikes and the lanolin oil is also a de-greaser. Pure Lanolin oil Not a petroleum based chemical and can be used without gloves

Can be sprayed on all electrics for protection

Use a water disperment all over/under/in the bike if your bike is where any moisture will get to it. I buy WD40 in a 4 liter container and use a spray bottle to spray the whole bike. Especially if i have been caught or ride in the rain. I combine it with a lanolin oil, (also buy in bulk), and this mixture is all i use on the bikes to keep them clean and polished. Living 1 street from the beach salt and water is the enemy, by using this spray it kills and stops rust and corrosion. Doesn't do any damage to paint either.

I never wash the bikes and the lanolin oil is also a de-greaser. Pure Lanolin oil Not a petroleum based chemical and can be used without gloves

Can be sprayed on all electrics for protection

Thank you, Skull. Really good advice. I really feel as though I landed a survivor. It was donated to a charity organization for veterans, and then auctioned to a brokerage company, whom I bought it from. The deal is the donor gets to choose the non-profit organization all proceeds go to, after the bike has been serviced and made road worthy. I mentioned previously the few flaws I have found. But the motorcycle looks to be 99 per cent complete, less the original seat. I have found just one or two missing machine screws from the whole set up. The carburetor was cleaned, adjusted, and looks like new rubber lines were attached. The electrics were untampered with as far as I can tell, except maybe in a few connectors, but no splices that I can find. It came with a new battery. I will provide pictures of what I call a survivor.
Yamaha 110.JPGEven the cover knobs were present when I adjusted the handlebars.Yamaha 111.JPG One machine screw is missing here: and all this looks original to the bike.Yamaha 47.JPG
Yamaha 45.JPG

Under the seat looks goodYamaha 60.JPG and furtherYamaha 64.JPG withYamaha 66.JPG the tail

Under the seatYamaha 58.JPG and behind the left panel Yamaha 53.JPG The retention clip on the air filter was missing on the opposite side. This next picture shows the air suction hose that feeds from both filters from a Tee connection that runs to the carburetor, The rubber line leading from the Tee to the air box had come off, and I had to secure it. Yamaha 54.JPG

Does look pretty good. Fairly clean and very little rust.

Cant buy the lanolin oil, that i get down here in Oz, but i found this lanolin product you can get in the states. It's not cheap but used properly IMHO you cant get any better product that will protect your vehicle.

https://www.fluid-film.com/

And no i don't have shares in them. :)

Thing is it will make the bike look like new by using a small amount on a cloth and wiping down the bike. Again it can be thinned out a bit more by using WD40 or as WD40 is 60% kerosene just buy some of that to thin the fluid film......

Both the front and rear brakes squeal like an ungreased carnival ride at the county fair coming down a pretty steep slope. The small cap in the rear hub for checking the wear of the drum is still present. First things first;Yamaha 81.JPG The front assembly. At last, the rear assembly
Yamaha 92.JPG I am a novice at Zen, and this is my first real meditation within the art. And I know no answers without a good amount of thought, or a proper pointer in a right direction. Needing hands-on experience means that just by listening or reading alone tends to confuse without the physical presence available. So, back and forth, come and go, this will be the pattern. I heard pictures were popular!!

Back