First Impression: the 1980 XS650 Special II

my loom was a bit messed up, i picked up a second hand 78 Special loom. Connections were dirty. Did a full clean of the bullets and dissembled all connectors and cleaned the contacts, (male and female) and replaced the couplings that were disintegrating. replaced any bullet connectors that had broken wires at the connection or if oxidizing had got into the connection around the solder.

I knew nothing about wiring and my head hurt just thinking about what goes where. Did a continuity test of all circuits, (up to switches and after them then tested the circuit through the switch. I knew the wires each side tested good so it was easy to pin point where the problems were as i cleaned the loom.

Used a Dremel drill with a small ball end bit to clean inside the bullet connectors and cotton buds dipped in lanolin oil after
P1000974 1 text.jpg P1000980 1 Text crop.jpg
http://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

Blew me away how much the loom cleaned up, i had the indicators flashing at a normal pace without running the engine, just off the battery. Some said these bikes couldn't do that.

Last edited:
at a normal pace
Yes, I got a privacy error on trying to connect to the link you provided above. No problem, it happens on my shortcut offsite or if I address the URL directly, but not if I go to the search page first.

Those bullet connectors I had very little problem with. I cut the wrapping back and followed the wire from the blinker assembly, plus the ground. Two wires to each blinker were disconnected this way. The problem I ran across was the separation of the hard plastic cases that held anywhere from 4 to 6 wires on each base. These are stuck fast, and the case is beginning to chip on one. Circled in red.Bucket_LI.jpg
I know these should bullet connect in the depths of that hard case, with a tang plug (male-female) mating for connection to the other side. So, pulling out each individual wire may be necessary. My concern is putting a new case back in to replace the old one, after cleaning the bullet heads, of course. The loom of wires enters into the bucket from behind and exit from a different access point, making it necessary to disconnect everything within. Thanks Skull. I am not lickity-split at anything anymore. I am a quarter-century plus older than the motorcycle, and unmolested.
'TT'

See those two big acorn nuts at the top of the head, above and on either side of the spark plug and that round chrome cover? See the rubber washers under them? Those two studs flow oil so needed to be sealed, hence the rubber washers. But, while soft enough to seal, they aren't hard enough to hold the nuts tight. In similar situations, most other manufacturers use copper washers, soft enough to seal but hard enough to hold the nuts tight. We do the same ..

This is a big help. Thank you so much. I can understand how the craze begins now. Once I started delving into the machine, I heard myself thinking, 'Well, if I did this, then why not this other thing?' It must be a common craze!! :geek:. Before I began on the headlamp yesterday, I sat there by the "Beauty" thinking, 'Maybe I will back off each nut and screw one at a time, and retighten it', and then that headlight clicked and whispered, "Me First!"
It has to be a common craze :rock:
How necessary is the use of a torque wrench if I use a bit of common sense on snugging these acorn nuts up, and will my local Ace Hardware store carry these washers, or will O'Reilly's and Auto Zone?

Once I started delving into the machine, I heard myself thinking, 'Well, if I did this, then why not this other thing?' It must be a common craze!! :geek:
It was a year ago, I just wanted to do as little as possible and keep my old Special on the road. I went in thinking I would just replace the valve seals. That turned into a top end overhaul, replaced transmission, rebuilt carburetors, replaced exhaust system, reupholstered seat, replaced oil cooler and lines, plus a whole bunch of stuff I can't remember right now. When it was done, I had a nice afternoon ride and addressed whatever leaks, etc. Then, a 700 mile weekend trip. It was way more rewarding than just hopping on a new bike and giving it a go.
9b19824b-fe9a-45ba-8777-cbc87ad4abb8-jpeg.188486

http://www.xs650.com/threads/sensible-engine-decision-now-top-end-refresh.57859/

It was a year ago, I just wanted to do as little as possible and keep my old Special on the road.
That is such a pretty picture of your Special II I had to jump on and comment. I have an hour before I will be called away for a few hours, and plan on looking at that link of your fix, and @650Skull's that he fixed. I also appreciate the advice on the JIS bits and impact driver plus the torque wrench, thanks to @nj1639. This garage rocks!!
'TT'

The sun came back out today. I decided I should remove my battery while the headlight bucket and blinkers occupy my time. I thought this rubber casing around the battery was pretty neat. Never seen one of these before. Yamaha Battery Case.JPG And I had never run across this brand of battery, either. Yamaha Battery and Case.JPG Looking down into the depths of the hold these came from, so-so. Battery Compartment.JPG

You can almost smell my greenhorn newness, look what came in the mail, making me eat my words. Yamaha New Title 1_LI (2).jpg

One last question about the 10 mm screws under the carb bowls. Would it be better to drain these of gas by loosening the two screws if I plan on not starting up until sometime in January? Enjoy the pics. It was a beautiful but cool day. Hope for warmer weather tomorrow and return to the headlight bucket. Hope everyone here has avoided tragedy and had a pleasant afternoon.
'TT'

I had the opportunity to fumble around with my motorcycles for a couple of hours today. I grit my remaining teeth and resolved to tackle the tangled web of wires within the bucket. My pictures came out a bit fuzzy, so no need to clean your glasses; and of course, that date is still lying. I am not that far behind!! Yamaha Electrics 2.JPG Coming apart wasn't all that bad. The tangle on the other hand! Yamaha Electrics.JPG Now that this is done, all thread of one foot, some washers and nuts, some brass washers (maybe?), some electrical fittings, possibly. Hello Ace.
'TT'

That brand shows up on EBay and maybe Amazon. I’ve seen it around.
That is probably so. I haven't shopped very often online, just for new tires on the Bullet earlier this year. I have seen plastic battery cases in some motorcycles, but this rubber one is in very good condition. It is still soft and pliable with no battery stains at all, but it does show its age from fading or dust. Were these a standard accessory part that came with the Yamaha's or am I looking at some aftermarket consideration? Thanks for your response.
'TT'

If you can find it, get yourself a can of the Tannery. This is a terrific leather, vinyl, and rubber conditioner and cleaner. It will nicely clean up all your wiring, tire sidewalls, and seat (without making it slippery). It's wonderful stuff and I've been using it for years .....

https://www.doitbest.com/shop/cloth...ather-care-cleaner-and-conditioner?SKU=632097
Yeah, thanks for the suggestion 5Twins. I see it is stocked in a local store. Hoping Ace will have it. They are only a couple miles from me.
'TT'

I used our sunny weather yesterday to putter for some needed supplies on the Bullet, but the traffic was too intense to go far. I will Ace another day. Today was sunny until I went out and began cleaning the undercarriage of the "Beauty", and it clouded up and got cold. I was able to get a few good pictures though for knowing what I had to look forward to. I do know the two oil outlets seep slowly, very slowly. A definite look inside when I am ready to change the oil, replace the O-rings or washers, and check the sump filter out. It is grimy down there. I started on the center strut and stopped there. 650 xs 2.JPG 650 xs 5.JPG Progress 650 xs 7.JPG My biggest concern is the swingarm degradation and whether is needs replacing. I am hoping that isn't splitting on the left arm.
650 xs 9.JPG And finally when it got too uncomfortable---> 650 xs 1.JPG 'TT'

Wow is that ever sweet! Wish I got to start in on one that clean now and then.
Bit of battery acid on the LH side of the swing arm, normal and seldom more than surface rust.
It doesn't happen often but if corrosion is going to be an issue bottom of LH frame tube near the sidestand weldment is a place to look.

Wow is that ever sweet! Wish I got to start in on one that clean now and then.
Bit of battery acid on the LH side of the swing arm, normal and seldom more than surface rust.
It doesn't happen often but if corrosion is going to be an issue bottom of LH frame tube near the sidestand weldment is a place to look.

Yea, Tinker Taylor. doesn't really understand what a gem he has.

Back