First Impression: the 1980 XS650 Special II

Not sure what you're using, I use kerosene. It's a nice mild and cheap cleaner and de-greaser. After a couple of goes at it, I got the bottom of my '83 pretty clean, or at least clean enough to spot any new oil leaks if they happen .....

YwOkgJf.jpg

Your Pirate battery is one of the brands Chrome Battery sells. I've been using their (Chrome) brand for several years now and have no complaints. I just replaced the one in my '78 with another of the same. That first one gave me near 7 years of service so I can't complain. I only got 4 to 5 years out of the previous two wet cell batteries I used.

Yea, Tinker Taylor. doesn't really understand what a gem he has.
Yes, I do! I knew it was a gem the moment the ad appeared and feel lucky I could bring it home. Tongue in cheek I know, but if I can proceed with this "Beauty" and service him properly without making any worse a fine surviving specimen, I will feel even luckier! @gggGary how do you figure it was battery acid? I found no traces of any deterioration in the battery holder under the seat, nor the rubber shell casing. Could it have possibly been on the chain itself? I will have a better look the next sunny day, hopefully tomorrow. Today I banged around on the headlight bucket, which is about one-quarter inch out of round now but has irregularities. 650 xs 12.JPG Next I tried straightening all thread rods, and not perfect but passable. 650 xs 10.JPG Better than the beginning. 650 xs 11.JPG

how do you figure it was battery acid? I found no traces of any deterioration in the battery holder under the seat, nor the rubber shell casing.
Battery vent tube ran down there. Usually it got misrouted and would spray acid and/or acid fumes all over that area.

The overflow is on the left end of the battery, no one puts the overflow tube back on when they remove, install battery. Acid vented during operation and charging gets chain guard and swing arm in that location.

This shot from a current shed denizen shows a typical trail of battery vent corrosion fanning down and out from the source.
battery acid trail.jpg

This bike had a "wrong" battery stuffed in it. Corrosion from an earlier battery.

battery-compartment-jpg.203128

The black plastic box visible under the battery box in your pic is the TCI (electronic ignition brain box). treat it with TLC. No water or harsh chemicals. the circuit board inside has little weather protection.

Last edited:
The overflow is on the left end of the battery, no one puts the overflow tube back on when they remove, install battery. Acid vented during operation and charging gets chain guard and swing arm in that location.
Yep. Here's a shot of my SG frame before blasting...

IMG_20171017_144839464.jpg

The black plastic box visible under the battery box in your pic is the TCI (electronic ignition brain box). treat it with TLC. No water or harsh chemicals. the circuit board inside has little weather protection.
I really appreciate the heads up on the TCI. I am just beginning to put two and two together. I knew there was a change in the system under the covers above the spark plugs, and then to the TCI, and that connected my chain of knowledge. I have yet to fully appreciate the design and build of the bike being unaware of all the mechanisms. I see things individually, separately until it clicks together to form the whole. One of the 'Oh, that is it' moments. Thanks, and I love the pictures even when they show the corroded aftermath of neglect.
'TT'

Finally clear weather though still chilly. Yamaha Overhead 2.JPG I decided to take a good approach on the wiring and snug up the fittings I had disconnected. These were easily rejoined, but the bullet connectors with the protective wrappings will need redoing. Bucket electricals 3.JPG The time went by fast, much quicker than my memory, so for added security before I should forget, but those bullets; jeez!
Merry Christmas. I will be checking in daily as a good habit and have already learned a lot by reviewing others' threads and posts. And I have only just begun! :wtf:

Back