First Impression: the 1980 XS650 Special II

Tinker Taylor

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, one and all; greetings from a new member, I recently purchased a 1980 Yamaha XS650 Special II on Nov. 8 this year, and then found this forum and have been reading in the Garage. I have learned a lot already, but only a miniscule amount compared to what the members here have discussed, I became favorably impressed, and hope I can share something worthy enough not to hinder the good will and charity I have already witnessed. I will begin by thanking others for their contributions made to this forum.

Please disregard the dateline
Yamaha 113.JPG
on my photos I plan on showing some over the next few days as I gain my composure and confidence upon this platform with potential friends.

Besides the photos I will try to fill in a brief history of the motorcycle I purchased, finding it to be an interesting one. As I work out my pace of progress, I welcome you all to share your impressions and expertise in identifications, misconceptions, and answers to any foreseeable problems that may exist.

Tinker Taylor

It is a nice bike indeed. Personally I am impressed how easily I can cruise on the freeway at 75 to 80 mph. The RPM I cant pinpoint it but maybe 4-5k and it had a lot more to go. It looks like you have a special which might have the electronic ignition. That is very good and less maintaince vs. points.
You have a nice looking bike, it looks nice as is besides the seat. It has a real classic look that pictures dont do them justice.

@Tinker Taylor, welcome from KC from another 1980 XS650G Special II owner! Looks like you've got a real nice bike to start with shouldn't take much get that all purrtied up and running good. Gonna leave the king/queen seat on it, or swap it out for an OEM? Here's my Special II.
IMG_1720.JPG

Personally I am impressed how easily I can cruise on the freeway at 75 to 80 mph.
You have a nice looking bike, it looks nice as is besides the seat. It has a real classic look that pictures dont do them justice.

Thank you @cafetools for the compliment. I like the overall style, reminding me of the 70's generation due to the seat and handlebars. The seat is soft enough, but I feel I need to scoot back a bit. It is double hinged on the right and has the lock on the left and is in fair to good condition. I may keep it as is.
I have never been above 65 on a motorcycle, and not sure if I ever will. Let me add I like the county road systems much more than any Interstate. At my age I don't really need nor want to go anywhere too fast, unless I look westward ho! Maybe then.
I believe this is the first year with the TCI (?), so I can bet yours predates mine.
'TT'

Hello @Tinker Taylor and welcome from Virginia. You have a good looking bike there and it's the fastest color too: score!

No flames shooting out here, but I do like the color. Virginia is my POB so I am familiar (!!) with the State Motto. I like what you did to Buzzy and find it amazing your rides into work. Let me guess, you have a tour riding suit? Thanks for the welcome @Boog.
'TT'

@Tinker Taylor, welcome from KC from another 1980 XS650G Special II owner! Looks like you've got a real nice bike to start with shouldn't take much get that all purrtied up and running good. Gonna leave the king/queen seat on it, or swap it out for an OEM? Here's my Special II.

Greetings @RustiePyles. I am very happy with the model/year I chanced upon. Without a doubt, I do have a rather 'pristine' Bullet I like to wipe down and spit shine every day, but I also kind of like 'dirty bikes' and other than Rustoleum touch-ups and some technical awareness, I may keep it as it sits. I like to think the Bullet is female EFI, no carbs, and this one is male, you know?
'TT'

History matters, and I believe I am the third owner to it. I have the original Georgia State Title from 1987. It was purchased then with just over 6000 miles, and I discovered an insurance card under the right panel dated 1989. Then it seems to have sat for about 30 years and was given over as a donation with 14000 miles on the odometer, at the date below. It then went up for auction and was purchased by an Auto Broker in Alpharetta, Ge. on June 21. It was advertised on Craigslist in late September or early October. I called on Oct. 30 and gave them an offer over the phone which was excepted. I couldn't get ahold of a trailer and driver until Nov. 8, and we went the two hours down and back to pick it up and bring it home; a ten to five day. I will add a picture as it was advertised.
'TT'
XSG02 TITLE C (2).JPG 1980 XS 650 4.jpg
XSG02 TITLE C (2).JPG

Welcome aboard @Tinker Taylor
great bike you rescued there!
Can't wait to hear about the journey.

Thank you @gggGary. I have been on the lookout for any XS650 for a few years, but all of them were either chopped up, or totally beyond my ability to fix quickly for the road. Then there were the ones that were so far out of range pricewise, upwards of 4000 dollars, that when this particular XS showed up, I had a long meditation on going for it. I had acquired a Bullet Electra 500 in March of 2020 and it was my sole means of transportation. Should I add another horse to the stable? Yes, I now have a much more versatile machine with 57 hp instead of 27 hp, and I think I will enjoy the experience of being able to tinker upon it. The Bullet is mainly a wipe down and spit-shine putter, and this one offers me more opportunity to grow and do some camping and day trips. Keeping my fingers crossed, it runs very good, idles out as it should, but has some minor defects that need to be addressed. And a lot of unknowns to me.
'TT'

No flames shooting out here, but I do like the color. Virginia is my POB so I am familiar (!!) with the State Motto. I like what you did to Buzzy and find it amazing your rides into work. Let me guess, you have a tour riding suit? Thanks for the welcome @Boog.
'TT'
Not really a touring suit, it doesn't seem to get that cold as close to DC where I live and work. There is so much hot air coming out of that place we only lose a few days each winter to snow these days. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the group! I've been riding an '80 SG for the last 11 years. These bikes are made for the back roads. 65-70 is my comfort zone limit. Easy to work on. Don't need a lot of special tools when rebuilding anything on it. Factory workshop manual is a must.

Back