First Post by a Long-Time Member

My 650 fell off of one of those. Surely, it was my fault, but I have yet to put a whole motorcycle on it again. It’s very handy for other things, recently a Corvette transaxle replacement.
Not good at all - I don’t have to much faith in them either - hard to use if you want to remove either wheel or any other parts that cause imbalance. I know the full platform lift takes space and are more costly - if I’m not working on a bike ( which is rare) I just use it to park the bike on - hence most of the space is used without having it sitting empty and take up room.

I was very tenative. Ratchet straps are critical.
20220406_101215.jpg

I have the HF table lift but bikes rarely go on it. Most of my lifting chores are done with a Blackjack 1000. This is a screw lift, not hydraulic, and I like it much better because you can precisely set the lift amount. For removing and installing wheels, I just take the weight off the wheel so the axle easily slides in and out .....

BlackJack.jpg

BlackJack2.jpg

BlackJack3.jpg

Then I jack it up higher to roll the wheel in and out .....

BlackJack4.jpg

BlackJack6.jpg

BlackJack7.jpg

Welcome to the posting part of being on the forum.I have the HF aluminum and it’s much sturdier than the steel one. Nice bike you have there. I just finished this one And I love that color.C5FE9351-6E35-498D-B7E7-DFBFF8DF6D49.jpeg

Welcome to the posting part of being on the forum.I have the HF aluminum and it’s much sturdier than the steel one. Nice bike you have there. I just finished this one And I love that color.View attachment 218075
The color is what originally attracted me to this one. Yours is nicer given your care, but that's what I hope mine to be. Paint might be next year if it runs as well this year as I hope. Electrical is the great unknown for me. As said here often, age is the nemesis for our bikes. I'm not good with electrical.

I loved my purple and white R5350, and I"ve considered having it done that way. But that"s just a passing thought at this point. Short term is just to get it running. I"m getting excited for it.

Roy

Mines is actually a survivor. I’m lucky it cleaned up as well as it did. It was neglected when I got it but a little elbow grease paid off.8C0BA9A3-AF6E-4D00-9574-2C96CF5349D2.jpeg

It's just harder to reach those low spots and the transitions from sitting to standing take a bit of preparation. So I'll try to keep up with maintenance to a higher degree so that I can avoid some of that effort.
As said here often, age is the nemesis for our bikes.
So true, Roy, age is the nemesis for us as well as the bikes.

I keep a couple of old wooden dining chairs in the garage, and a low stool, so for most jobs I can sit at the right height. Plus, find I spend too much time losing tools or putting them down out of reach so have taken to always using a metal tray, usually place it on the second chair, and trying to get in the habit of putting tools nuts & bolts etc down on the tray so everything is visible and in reach. Save a lot of bending down and a lot of getting up to fetch tools.

So true, Roy, age is the nemesis for us as well as the bikes.

I keep a couple of old wooden dining chairs in the garage, and a low stool, so for most jobs I can sit at the right height. Plus, find I spend too much time losing tools or putting them down out of reach so have taken to always using a metal tray, usually place it on the second chair, and trying to get in the habit of putting tools nuts & bolts etc down on the tray so everything is visible and in reach. Save a lot of bending down and a lot of getting up to fetch tools.
I have one smallish tool box that has every tool I need for most maintenance/repair/further damage. 27 mm , torque wrench, BFH and electrical excepted this is what I need. A 5 gallon bucket is a handy perch and a 1" thick dense foam gardening pad help. I also keep jet and oil plug crush washers in there.
16569719554524443998488568318239.jpg

I wish I had room for a lift table but since I don’t a tool cart for what I’m using and a big foam kneeling pad from HF keeps me from killing my knees. Oh yea and Advil is my friend……..

welcome , one of the best things about the xs650 is they are so easy to ride and maintain so they make it easy for us old farts to stay on the rd , im amazed that you have managed to keep yours for so long especially since it hasnt been used in all that time with many house moves (from the sound of it ) must have been a few intresting discussions about it with the missus , no doult the kids have wanted to get their hands on it a few times ... one warning ...one thing about the xs is once you start riding them they have a tendence to breed

Welcome back to the clan... and look forward to see'n ya on the road. Here in the Twin Cities there's only two shops that will work on anything ..old. The Xs is user friendly and isn't difficult to maintain or do... anything major. I'd keep it stock. I do all my own work except the one that requires shims on the valves... I don't have shims and when it comes time for its bi-yearly tune up.. it's one hundred miles, one way for service. :cool:

Welcome @Oldschool - from Canada's sunny southern coast near Harrow, Ontario!

Ahhhh....the 1976 XS650C - the most '70s of the 1970's Yamahas with either the flashy American blue or the equally garish Canadian red - with orange and brown stripes. My '76 C-model (the ever-entertaining Lucille :yikes: ) is the red and she sure is fun to ride!

My_1976_Yamaha_XS650C_Dec-2016-RHS.jpg

Please post lots of photos and ask questions. There are people on this site who know as much or even more than the Yamaha engineers who built these ole' gals more than 40 years ago.

You and your bike are most welcome here Roy and I know she'll clean up well and look super in no time!

Pete

Last edited:
Back