First time start in 12 years - ways to ensure oil supply

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am getting close to starting my 2nd 77D - to the best of my knowledge it was last run in 2009.
What are the ways to ensure I have lubrication before the motor fires.
Prep so far - new oil filters, new oil, carbys cleaned and some parts replaced, new air cleaners, new fuel tank, new petcocks, new fuel filters, fully charged battery. 6000 klms original motor.
Prep to go - check cam chain tension, points, timing, plugs, valve clearance.
Thanks - Ray.

Leave the gas shut off, remove the spark plugs (ground them if you have TCI) squirt a drop or three of oil in the plug holes to pre-lube the cylinder walls and rings a bit, pull one or more rocker arm covers, then crank it with the electric start. Assuming the battery and starter spin it over fast enough, you should see some oil moving in the rocker box after a few moments. That indicates that the oil pump has picked up a prime and is moving oil through the engine.

Alternatively, you could do what I did. Begin as DE says by taking the spark plugs out and squirting a little oil into the cylinders. Depending what work you have already done - if you've been in there, you will already have lubed - you could also remove the tappet covers, squirt some oil in each and replace them.

Then, leaving the plugs out and the petrol OFF I kicked and kicked till I was sick of it. Maybe a hundred times? Then, plugs in, petrol on, ignition on, kicked again and she started. Expect some smoke as the oil burns off.

AS per DE in #2
Yes the kicking before the start is a good thing but it is mostly taken care of because it don't start immediately
Personally I put in more oil than a few drops into the cylinders
It can be to much but rarely so when it comes to mechanical machines
But it can however quickly become to little with far worse effects.
I do work with sewing machines and at times I let them sit a While with lot of oil at the lubrication points
Then after a day turn it a little and give it more oil
Come back after a day or two more oil and turn it again.
It depends on how difficult it turns
In those machines using force can lead to a trip to the scrap heap
Beside me I have a Singer Industrial from 1937 .Tight bearings so being at bit careful dont hurt

If that is true ---> 6000 klms original motor. i dont remember how the running in instructions are but 6000 km is Nothing

I would be very careful --- Using the squirting in at the top end and kicking with " lot " oil in cylinders
And should it start I would kill it rather quickly letting it cool down and then a little more running time
60 000 kms would be nothing strange for a 1977

Yup repeat on DE advice open the rocker covers I start with rust buster in the valve springs then squirt liberal quantities of oil, be sure to get the cam lobes. This also reduces the chance of a sticking valve ruining your day. I rescued an 8K motor, abandoned bike from a shed where it had sat since the early 80's, did that wake up and put 10,000 trouble free miles on it.
5k motor 006.JPG

DE, Raymond, Jan and ggggary - many thanks for the advice. I will do what you have said. Should be about a week away.
DE - my thoughts are with you and your family on the upcoming surgery. Its amazing how just a normal (sometimes boring) day is so precious.
Regards Ray.

Back