First time xs650 owner, stator questions

Technoblank

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
This site has been very useful to me in getting this xs1b up up and running. Set points, cleaned carbs, valve adjustment, cleaning petcocks. While trying to get the carbs set bike kept dying and wouldn't restart, finally concluded battery was draining.
Checked electrical system, 12 volts from battery only gives me 4 volts to brushes. Today checking for continuity I saw while the stator was off the bike, I had continuity from power to outer brush and ground to inner brush that was it, but when the stator is mounted to the bike I've got continuity between both ground and hot and both slip rings with both wires and the body of the stator, and engine casing. The blue wire is also reacting to everything as well. Basically everything is touching everything else on the stator Should they all interact this way or is this were my voltage is going?
I've checked voltage from battery to regulator and out of regulator, I have full voltage there, I'm losing the voltage from regulator to stator and brushes. All original charging system.

Attachments

• 20220220_142843.jpg
    20220220_142843.jpg
    882.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211210_114356.jpg
    20211210_114356.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 103
Did you check the rotor? That's what usually goes bad. Measure between the slip rings, brushes removed or not touching. You should get about 5 ohms. Stator failure isn't common on these, it's a pretty dependable part, but I suppose it's possible.

I followed the manuals procedure checking everything on the list, the rotor, stator and brushes. They all passed as prescribed. I only found that when I had the stator on the bike the blue, black, and green wire where all having continuity with each other. The phase wires are all checking out great though. When I get a moment my next step Is to pull the wiring on the stator looking for faults. When I removed the stator cover there was no gasket, wondering what all could have gotten in there and caused havoc.
Thank you both. One step closer to a continual running xs!

*update*
Wanted to make sure it was the stator, so I removed the brush wires from the stator and checked for voltage, checked power wire and engine block, 12 volts, great. Just for giggles let's check the ground, check ground and engine block, 12 volts. That's not supposed to be there. Checked the ground wire coming from voltage regulator 12 volts. Checked ground going into voltage regulator, nothing. Going to open the voltage regulator and see what's inside.

Back