Fitting a rear fender issues

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I just sized my rear fender against the frame and I don't think it fits right!

I have a Elswick Hardtail:

Yamaha XS650/TX650 Hardtail 1974-1982 For 180/200mm Rear Tire XS1665W
This hardtail will fit all Yamaha XS650 and TX650 models built between 1974 and 1985. This hardtail is wider than stock at the rear to accept a 180 or 200 rear tire on a 5.5" Harley wheel with the use of an offset drive sprocket or a wide tire kit.
Specs:
1" diameter x .120" wall seat tubes and lower tubes
3/8" thick axle plates with a 3/4" axle slot
Includes stainless steel axle adjuster bolts and detailed installation instructions

Price $400.00

I have a 5.5" x18" rear wheel and a 9" wide fender.

The frame is over 10" wide between axles. I thought the fender should be a snug fit not have over an inch gap??

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

260mm between axle plates (10"+)
IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0502.JPG

I was told the 9" fender is correct for a 200mm tyre.
IMG_0504.jpg

Where did things go astray???
If I get a 10" fender will that be big on the wheel?

A nine inch wide fender should work perfect for the 200 tire.
I will supply you with a machined billet plug to go in the backbone after you do the rake.
From Elswick regarding what size fender to go with this frame…..He also never supplied the plug either.

08680-WCC JESSE JAMES RIGID ONE TON HO 9" REAR FENDER
36-736-CHROME 18" X 5.5" 60 SPOKE REAR WHEEL
This fender is perfect for use with a 180 or 200 tire.
From same supplier

Am I wrong and you are mean't to have a half inch gap each side between frame and fender?????

Man when in doubt I always say get the wheels on it, then reassess. I'll bet it's a good fit w clearance for the chain etc once it's on.

Sorry, just to clarify are you saying you want the fender to touch the frame on both sides? Or to fit right with a 200 tire or both? I would think if you want it to touch on both sides you would need a10" wide outer width fender for a 10" wide frame inner width.

To clarify I thought the frame and fender should almost touch.
So I ordered parts to suit…………….as it turns out I think it it should have been a 10" fender to fit this frame, and I guess a wider wheel to fill a 10" fender?

Or is it common to have a ½" gap either side of the fender between the frame for some purpose?

My first build so wondering why I used the specified parts and got this gap?

yea, that gap is normal. it is much more common to get a fender to fit your wheel, not the frame. there is about an inch on both sides of my fender. but i suppose if you wanted it to touch the frame you would need a 10" but be cafeful gettin it too close or else when it is painted the paint will hit, and make sure it is secured so you dont get rattling between the fender and the frame rail. hope this helped :)

Cheers Rusty. Yeah just cos I picture things going together a certain way in my head. Doesn't mean that is how most peoples builds go together.

Do people use rubber grommets on the bolt holes??

I don't know-how far you are wanting that fender to wrap around your tire, but you are going to need some clearance for your chain (unless you plan on notching out the fender to fit the chain).. I always order my fenders 1/2 wider than the tire I'm going to run and 3/4" bigger in diameter for a nice snug, clean fit. If there is too big of a gap things don't look right.

It depends on how you are going to attach the fender but I always us some type of thin nylon or rubber between the fender and mounting surface to prevent any of the paint from cracking due to vibration. Are you just running regular struts, like from a DIY strut kit?

The fender came with the chain allowance pre cut
16956A.JPG%253D600.jpeg

I am thinking to have a two brackets, one to the bottom cross rail of the frame and another from the top cross rail. Bobber33 did a version of this on his twins.
10.jpg

Was also going to make a sissy bar which would act as fender struts.

that all seems pretty sturdy to me! 3 points of contact and support is certainly the best! im only using the bottom and then struts, but i wish i could do 3 but everything i could come up with just looked ugly or something was in the damn way! lol and yea, i also plan on using small rubber piece in between.

I want a bit of rigidity as I plan on taking the lil lady out occasionally on the back. At this point I don't want her to fall off, give me a few more years with her and I might have a different opinion!

haha! yea, im the same. plan on takin a little someone occasionally! but even with the two mine doesnt move at all. but three is always better :) good luck and keep us posted!

Back