Fix one carb, or rebuild both?

kjodell10

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a lot of Forum help figuring out a carb problem (float valve), and I'm wondering if I should get into both carbs while I'm in there: clean and rebuild, since it appears they both need to come out to service the faulty one.

Do one carb at a time. Then you can use the other one as a reference if you get stuck. Take pics as you go and make sure the parts go back into the carb they came out off.

Dont just use any okld screwdriver that will fit the jets. End of the screwdriver needs to be wide and thick enough to fit the slot in the jet so there is no slop/play. If you need to, (probably will), buy a small one that will need to be filed down on the end and will need to be filed on the sides to make it small enough to get into spaces. May need a couple or 3 of different ones. One for the Pilot screw and another 2 for the other jets. The more of the slot the screwdriver takes up the less chance there is of damage to the jets. They are soft so make sure the screwdriver is straight up, well bedded and push down firmly and turn slow. any hint the screwdriver is moving and not the jet stop and use something to penetrate, oil or some heat, (be care full and not to much heat), to break the seize.

Do one carb at a time. Then you can use the other one as a reference if you get stuck. Take pics as you go and make sure the parts go back into the carb they came out off.

Dont just use any okld screwdriver that will fit the jets. End of the screwdriver needs to be wide and thick enough to fit the slot in the jet so there is no slop/play. If you need to, (probably will), buy a small one that will need to be filed down on the end and will need to be filed on the sides to make it small enough to get into spaces. May need a couple or 3 of different ones. One for the Pilot screw and another 2 for the other jets. The more of the slot the screwdriver takes up the less chance there is of damage to the jets. They are soft so make sure the screwdriver is straight up, well bedded and push down firmly and turn slow. any hint the screwdriver is moving and not the jet stop and use something to penetrate, oil or some heat, (be care full and not to much heat), to break the seize.
Thanks; useful advice.

Back