Fixing bend in frame

Tstedham

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I have a bad dent/bend in my frame,were the kick stand mount is welded, maybe the bike was pushed over on kick stand not sure. iam pretty handy with my welder just want some input on how to tackle this repair. Check out pics thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 110
Cut the section out, get a new piece of tube. Get 2 slugs turned up (I can do that if you get dimensions). Chamfer the tubes, drill plug weld holes. Burn it in. Re weld mount. Done.

I'd be surprised if the headset isn't bent also, that frame needs to be checked for alignment. SImplest would be to move the numbers to a no title frame.

Cut the section out, get a new piece of tube. Get 2 slugs turned up (I can do that if you get dimensions). Chamfer the tubes, drill plug weld holes. Burn it in. Re weld mount. Done.
That's what I figured. But how to I get the new piece of tubing in, with the plugs in place. Since both pieces of the frame are still attached and in place. Do I slide the slug up the frame tube, but the new tube section in place and try to slide the slug back in to the repair tube, via holes drilled for roset welds?

And what about gigging the frame? Should I be concerned about it moving? Should I build some temp bracing or brackets to keep it all in place while preforming the repair and welds?

Back