1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

FixThe's 1981 XS650SH

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fixthe, Aug 27, 2020.

1. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

There is a tool that uses a expandable thread. You loosen the tool, slip it own the plug hole then snug it up. Making sure the threads of the tool line up with threads in the head. Then as you unscrew the tool it cleans up the damaged threads from the inside out.
    Leo

Mikey and gggGary like this.
  2. fixthe

fixthe XS650 Addict

Got the bike back! Much sooner than expected so that's great.

The bike runs and feels fantastic. They were able to tap the socket so no Heli-Coil, got in the bronze swingarm bushings and new swing arm bolt tube, then gave a general once over once it was all back together - adjusted my rear brake (didn't think it was off before but way less spongey now), made sure all nuts and bolts were tightened up to spec, etc.

Now, I think the new bushings have made a pretty night and day difference. I used to have a slight wiggle in the back end, usually when accelerating from a stop and things felt a bit loose when going over bumps. Now both of these are gone and overall the bike just feels more stable. Because they also made sure the rear wheel was aligned properly, lubed and torqued everything, I don't know what to attribute to the bushings and what no, but it is a noticeable difference.

Really happy with the work and cant complain getting it done for free. My buddy is just on practicum at the school, so no guarantee that he'll be back next year but if he is I think I'll get them to tear apart the engine over winter - put in a new cam chain guide and do a rebuild.

Some time in the next week I'll get over to my other friends place to show me how to dial in the clutch then should be good to go for the season!

Attached Files:

Jim, GLJ and jetmechmarty like this.
  3. fixthe

fixthe XS650 Addict

Bit grumpy about the whole situation so I don't want to get into it right now, but long story short needed to get in a new brake arm and rod. Couldn't get the brake back plate within Canada, so bought from Mikes and paid through the nose to get it expedited so I could get things going and get back on the bike ASAP.

Foolishly, I had done a visual inspection but not actually removed the old arm, so after getting in my parts yesterday and going to install the new bits, I see my cam shaft is bent. Reading I see a big ol 5twins post saying I can get an VStar 650 one, but am not finding that anywhere that I can again expedite ship from, so hoping someone here has one and can ship on the quick for me.

Installed the new rod though so thats done, should be quick to get back going once I get the part. The rod from Mikes wasn't perfect and needed a bit of work, but it's good to go. I can't find this all on the exploded view so I'm not sure what to call the parts, but on the front of the rod it extends too far into the piece that goes around the part that's connected to the brake lever so it wouldn't go in. Took a grinder to the rod and it's good to go. You should be able to tell what I mean by the pictures.

Attached Files:

4. fixthe

fixthe XS650 Addict

Alright, the bike lives!

Got a new cam shaft in from kshansen yesterday and just finished getting it installed. Rode around my driveway a few times, everything feels great. Now just need to pop insurance on it tomorrow and will go for a ride.

This was a learning lesson in how not doing a simple double check can cost losing a couple weeks ride time.

Paul Sutton and Jim like this.
  5. HOTEL71

HOTEL71 XS650 Enthusiast

USA

see the little brass tube coming off the carb holder in pic 2? (right side)
    either you have a petcock to wich it requires vaccum
    or ya dont. If it doesnt -->that tube needs to be plugged up
    cause if not it becomes a massive air leak and will cause a heck of a lot of problems

Attached Files:

6. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

You have mentioned several times about removing one of the plugs or plug wires. You have a dual output coil. Don't do that with the switch on or the engine running. It will burn up the coil because the spark can't get to ground. Worse case is a cracked coil shell allowing sparking to the gas tank. Not a good look.