Float Valve Seat O-ring Size???

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real quick...I'm cleaning my carbs and I'm 99% certain my o-rings for the float seat should be replaced. Any thoughts on what size o-ring it takes? I'm guessing a #5 or #6 but wanted to run a poll and see what the seasoned veterans (aka old timers) have used.

Good luck finding those locally. Looked at every hardware store in my town and couldn't find them ended up just ordering mine from Yamaha for4.50 a pop. I nearly died when the dealer told me the price. although they did have them for me the next day which was nice.

cycleorings.com I think it is has them if you want to order. I found some at a local hardware store that had a much smaller I.D., but once on the seat (with quite a bit of effort) gave a good seal into the carb body.

I found a close size at my local Do-it-Best store and picked up 4 of them.

Now that I know the size I also found them on mcmastercarr.com. I can order a pack of 100 but seriously doubt I'll need every one of them.

Hey bdholsin,

I was wondering if you remember what size o-ring you found. My local hardware store is also a do-it-best, and I think I could use some o-rings as I have fuel leaking out of the carb overflow with the bike on the side stand.

Thanks!

edit- disregard: I have no o-ring.

Last edited:
The BS34 carbs 80 to 83 use the Float valve O ring. The BS38s do not have this o ring.
And yes they are always hard and cannot be trusted to seal, they will allow gas to leak AROUND the float valve seal.

I ended up picking up a bag of 25 viton o-rings from McMaster-Carr in the size that 5twins mentioned (1.5mm thick x 7.5mm I.D.). I'm going to have extras if anyone needs a couple for BS-34 carbs. Just let me know. I'll keep some for me so that'll leave about 20 for the rest of you.

Back