Today was " WOI "..... Wheels of Italy..... anything from Italy on wheels... 4 R E's.... Lambo's,,, Fiat's ..old and new.. some with the price stickers in the window.. $668,900.oo ! Yikers ! A group of 10 Lamnie's scooters rode in..... I think about 12 made the scene...... I had one years ago and is the subject in Tom Cotter's book, " 50 Shades of Rust ".... ( barn finds, except in my case... garden shed find )... my army buddy had his 34'Moto Guzzi... I rode in with my 1951 Aremacchi " swan "... Your scoot is look'n great. !!
What a beautiful ride. I really enjoy following your builds. Your quality of craftsmanship and attention to detail are second to none. Glad you are writing this one up!
^^^^ what he says. Amazing work, and the detail is off the charts.
We really want a picture of your silly grin after your first ride...Started in on the major parts of the motor…
I was dreading setting up this 5 speed gear box and well… it was warranted. I built it and took it apart 5 times before it was correct. Took about 6 hours in total.
I built it straight forward the first time to see where it all needed to be adjusted. This required getting the rear hub on and torqued down, setting ear gear and checking alignment of loose gears with the gear cluster, checking the shifter (sliding dog) on each gear for perfect engagement. Then putting the clutch backing plate on and torquing down to spec to then finally be able to check that the gearbox shim is correct.
Long story short, I had to machine a .5mm spacer to push out my hub bearing, thus allowing my layshaft to sit deeper in the case.
When I first torqued down my clutch plate it hit the gear box and would not seat all the way as seen in the pic.
View attachment 253701
View attachment 253700
In order to fix this, I made the above mentioned spacer.
I found some .5mm aluminum stock, rough cut it to size, super glued it to an old bearing and machined it to size on the od and bored out the id. It fell off a few times but ultimately I got it done.
View attachment 253702
View attachment 253703View attachment 253704View attachment 253705
Pushing the layshaft back then meant my shift hit the back of the crank case so that needed to be relieved.
View attachment 253706
Put it all back together for the 5th time , pulling the rear hub is a pain so I figured I’d put the brake shoes on and call it done. And they rub…
View attachment 253707
Pulled em off and I’ll correct em another day.
Got it all buttoned up, correctly shimmed and ready to go.
View attachment 253708
Then I got my station cleaned and prepped to set up the top end.
View attachment 253709
As luck would have it, they didn’t send the wrist pin and circlips sooo a complete build was not possible (I got the parts on the way)
Made use of a spare wrist pin and check the port timing. Using a long stroke crank means I need to raise my cylinder by 3mm.
View attachment 253710
At bottom dead center, piston should sit about .015 below transfer ports. So we’re good there.
View attachment 253711
Then it was to check my squish which should be 1-1.1mm… checked it with a 1.5mm head gasket and well…
View attachment 253712
View attachment 253713
View attachment 253714
It’s said that spec is 1-1.4 and the 1.1 being ideal so I have another 1.2 head gasket coming with the wrist pin which should put me bang on.
Set my ring gaps and then put the top end aside for the moment and buttoned up what I could in the crankcase.
View attachment 253715
Clutch plates are soaking tonight so I can finish that up tomorrow.
The remaining bits should be here Monday.
Maybe I can get it up and going next week.