Fork bushing wear?

Pipes

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Have any you had fork bushing wear,if so,what are the symptoms apart from weeping oil..The reason I ask is because I have finally got my project bikes front brake filled with fluid and bled so I now have some way of stopping the thing..However, while it was in the front wheel stand I attempted to straighten the bars but the stand has grippy rubber feet which resulted in some twisting play between the fork legs...initially I suspected the head bearings but looking closely I noticed the outer legs moving slightly independently from the stanchions.The yoke/tree clamp pinch bolts were tight and there is a slight knocking when applying the newly working brake.The forks originated from a trials bike of lesser weight but probably had a hard time jumping rocks etc...

I can still obtain the bush seal kit but wanted to ask before spending my dollar 👍

jpdevol

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
pipesforks1.jpg

jpdevol

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I like to block under the frame to elevate front-end, strap across seat area tight, then grab bottom of fork tubes and pull/push, then rim pull/push - you'll find location of any play

Pipes

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers guys...I will definitely try the test tomorrow..its no big deal if they need doing but this late in the game its one more thing I didn't plan for...hey ho..at least if they get re-bushed and sealed they should be like new...

Pipes

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep,the bushes are shot...before condemning them I checked and adjusted the headstock bearings to rule those out especially since there is more weight up front now the wheel and brakes are finally fitted.

To be fair they didn't have as much play as first thought so the head bearings did have a part to play but they are brand new so I have ordered new bushes and seals.

If I'm honest,I have bought most things new apart from the brake calipers which have been refurbished so not to do the forks regardless would have been an unnecessary short cut...

Pipes

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that's a bummer....spent the morning enduring the current heatwave while I replace my bushes and seals only to find out they are no better off...seems even with the new bushes I can still physically see movement when wobbling the outer stanchion...no improvement whatsoever..in fact I can see the tiniest amount of play on the top most bush before installing the seal..
I checked my order an they are the correct parts so I'm not sure why they are no better...I knew I should have gone down the R6 fork route!!!!

gggGary

Behind the ears too?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Someone assembled a fork out of a mish mash of parts not meant for each other?

Last edited:

Pipes

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to a schematic I found on a trials website everything is as it should be...perhaps the lower stanchion is worn on the inside??

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
perhaps the lower stanchion is worn on the inside??
I don't think that's too far-fetched. The fork oil should be changed routinely. Some of these bikes never had the oil changed. The dirtier the oil, the more wear on the aluminum. That would be my suspicion as well.

jpdevol

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
If you could post the forks' make, model, year, specs, we could do a little research - another set of eyes - perhaps find a clue to the curious issue.