Fork bushing wear?

Pipes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys,

Have any you had fork bushing wear,if so,what are the symptoms apart from weeping oil..The reason I ask is because I have finally got my project bikes front brake filled with fluid and bled so I now have some way of stopping the thing..However, while it was in the front wheel stand I attempted to straighten the bars but the stand has grippy rubber feet which resulted in some twisting play between the fork legs...initially I suspected the head bearings but looking closely I noticed the outer legs moving slightly independently from the stanchions.The yoke/tree clamp pinch bolts were tight and there is a slight knocking when applying the newly working brake.The forks originated from a trials bike of lesser weight but probably had a hard time jumping rocks etc...

I can still obtain the bush seal kit but wanted to ask before spending my dollar 👍

pipesforks1.jpg

I like to block under the frame to elevate front-end, strap across seat area tight, then grab bottom of fork tubes and pull/push, then rim pull/push - you'll find location of any play

Cheers guys...I will definitely try the test tomorrow..its no big deal if they need doing but this late in the game its one more thing I didn't plan for...hey ho..at least if they get re-bushed and sealed they should be like new...

Yep,the bushes are shot...before condemning them I checked and adjusted the headstock bearings to rule those out especially since there is more weight up front now the wheel and brakes are finally fitted.

To be fair they didn't have as much play as first thought so the head bearings did have a part to play but they are brand new so I have ordered new bushes and seals.

If I'm honest,I have bought most things new apart from the brake calipers which have been refurbished so not to do the forks regardless would have been an unnecessary short cut...

Well that's a bummer....spent the morning enduring the current heatwave while I replace my bushes and seals only to find out they are no better off...seems even with the new bushes I can still physically see movement when wobbling the outer stanchion...no improvement whatsoever..in fact I can see the tiniest amount of play on the top most bush before installing the seal..
I checked my order an they are the correct parts so I'm not sure why they are no better...I knew I should have gone down the R6 fork route!!!!

Someone assembled a fork out of a mish mash of parts not meant for each other?

Last edited:
According to a schematic I found on a trials website everything is as it should be...perhaps the lower stanchion is worn on the inside??

perhaps the lower stanchion is worn on the inside??
I don't think that's too far-fetched. The fork oil should be changed routinely. Some of these bikes never had the oil changed. The dirtier the oil, the more wear on the aluminum. That would be my suspicion as well.

If you could post the forks' make, model, year, specs, we could do a little research - another set of eyes - perhaps find a clue to the curious issue.

They are Paoli/Cerani trials forks originally from a 2004 Sherco 290....the type with a spring in each side as opposed to a single.. The shop I use still shows the lowers on their listing but are out of stock at the moment....

Yes, well I find scant info and specs on that fork. Paoli sells shocks and lists only 2 fork assy. of different design vs yours. Perhaps they only sell to OEM. So Sherco does show parts diagram (attached) and sells through dealers. Dealers show parts (link), but fork lowers as unavailable (likely never). There appears in the diagram an unnumbered bushing that looks as it may press into top of lower fork, but was never available to purchase. So, I'm (not surprisingly) stumped.

https://www.powerhousemotorcycles.com.au/partFinder/fiche/sherco/2009/trials-2-9/02-fork#next

img052.png

Machine a replacement bushing? Perhaps with careful measuring and checking against other parts you'll find a will fit or "can modify to fit" bushing.

Cheers guys...that blown up scematic was actually the very same one I referred to when rebuilding mine...I can get hold of some second hand forks from a newer model but with the risk they could be worn too...I do have options...wait for new (soon to be obsolete) lowers....take mine to a machine shop to see if they can help...look for some matching diameter forks so I can keep the yokes/trees but change the braking set-up...or go for broke and rethink the whole front end using more modern and more readily forks,yokes and brakes....either way it's a set back...

That unnumbered sleeve bushing may be the problem. Were it a Japanese model, typically the manual would provide specs on ID and a service limit. Then you could tell what's up. A visit to the machine shop may answer some questions.

Unfortunate situation.

The only difference with this image is the amount of bushes used...The image above shows two bushes as normally found in most forks...however,my set comes with three...two upper separated with a plastic tube and a larger lower bush....apparently the original spec bushes are no longer available meaning you can only get pattern parts...come to mention it,I did see some play in the top most bush between the bush and the aluminium leg..perhaps they are of poor size/quality...in fact the shop I use for info on these state that although you cannot get original equipment bushes they say to get another set from another model and file the gap slightly to give the correct snug fit.....the ones I bought were from Fleabay...maybe that's were I've gone wrong???

Back