forks and mounting tank issue

You are serious right? The lower triple clamp/fork tube bolts are (or were) loose. Get something under the frame to hold the bike up drop the tubes down and tighten the bolts. Can't help you on the tank. weld up mounts would be my best guess but I don't know if Harley used rubber cushions to help with vibration. Maybe Harleys don't vibrate though?

Last edited:
You are serious right? The lower triple clamp/fork tube bolts are (or were) loose. Get something under the frame to hold the bike up drop the tubes down and tighten the bolts. Can't help you on the tank. weld up mounts would be my best guess but I don't know if Harley used rubber cushions to help with vibration. Maybe harleys dodn't vibrate though?

that's the sad part i am serious. lol, my first build!

Harleys vibrate! at least mine does! but mine is also 20 years old back when they solid mounted the motors ;) but i wouldnt have it any other way! as far as your issue with the tank there are many different mounting solutions. i just drilled a hole through my frame gussett on the front and put a bolt through it. for the back, mine fell right in the center of the backbone so i drilled a hole and in back bone and welded a slug with a hole in it to restrengthen the backbone's structural integrety after i drilled the hole. you may be able to just put a bolt through the back and wrap the middle with rubber until it hits the bottom of the backbone so it wont rattle. just an idea though. or make a couple tabs that come down off the backbone. hope that helped ;)

The thing that sucks is i was planning on welding the the seat hinge further up on the back bone but to make the hole line up for the back brace for the tank i have to move the tank back thus moving the seat back..you can see here looks like the seat is going to hit the tire. Only thing i hope is that the two barrel springs i have will keep it off the tire

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

also BEFORE you final mount your tank, you need to get your front end squared away with the bars and risers you will use and check your clearances. make sure nothing is hitting the tank when you turn your bars all the way in each directions. and make sure to leave a little room for the controls if need be. as far as the seat goes, can you just mount the seat itself higher up on the seat bracket? i have a bunch of pics of my bike in my build thread if that may help give you any ideas :D http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929

Back