Forum decline

There's a few of us hammering on FB XS650 groups to come to the forum for REAL help...
I basically I just glance through those groups but I do see familiar names( Gary, Marty) pop up directing peeps here. I don’t do much posting there as you have to sift through a sand pile of stupid comments to see if someone actually attempted to answer the question. Kudo’s for directing some of the younger crowd that actually seem to give a shit to the forum.

Last edited:
Occasionally, when i sign into Feacesbook, a 650.com group post, (because i am in 2 other XS650 groups), will come up. I will post a link to a forum thread on the subject. There i a lot of common knowledge, (like a friend told me, they said), information posted on there.

Going back to the Bagging of Gen Z for a bit. An interesting post from a Gen Z made me think about the lack of understanding, and just maybe who i at fault and has caused the perceived apathy in gen Z.

Political not. But needs to be said to set the scene. Does't matter which side of the divide your on, politics is, (epecially in the US to date), so divided both sides make the same argument for their guy to win.

This Gen Z girl says she was 14 in 2016 and now she and her generation are the ones who are being pushed to register and vote, being told if they don't then their guy, (which ever side your on), will lose and that responsibility will fall back on them.

she says.

I was to young to vote and create this mess but i'm bagged, (as a gen Z) as lazy, unintelligent, no initiative, my prospects of owning a house is basically Zero, the economy works against me, Min wage cant support me and i have to have 2 jobs to just survive, but you need me to vote to get you out of the mess you got your self into.

You make some good points. You also say you have been lurking for 10 years. As someone who has been using the site, or observing, without participating, signed up and been posting since late 23, you are in the unique situation to be able to give your perspective on why some people don't join in. Did you forget an old handle and password and rejoin, or was there some other reason
_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_XS650_20200505_095748.jpeg

Skull I believe you are not mistaken but in fact know that I do not lurk and have participated openly for 10 years. I have left the site a few years ago because of mostly disappointment and disagreement during the Covid days experience of recent years. That is history and I restate “time tells the truth” which it always does. Well sort of if you can navigate through the lies.
Now we have new current lies to navigate.
This 4th of July celebration of Americas Independence is full on in the community to where I’ve recently located.
This is far away from Australia in both geographic location as well as mindset
-RT

View attachment 330242
Skull I believe you are not mistaken but in fact know that I do not lurk and have participated openly for 10 years. I have left the site a few years ago because of mostly disappointment and disagreement during the Covid days experience of recent years. That is history and I restate “time tells the truth” which it always does. Well sort of if you can navigate through the lies.
Now we have new current lies to navigate.
This 4th of July celebration of Americas Independence is full on in the community to where I’ve recently located.
This is far away from Australia in both geographic location as well as mindset
-RT

10 years..............How would i know you left and came back under a different handle. did you re-announce yourself???......no..........When i checked your participation and join date, it is late 2023. I'll take you at your word you were a past contributing member, your previous handle would confirm.

I will often do a search on member's looking for relevant information on their bikes or experience or look for a previous thread to get up to date on a new thread they have posted in, but left out critical info. I did a search on your join date after your less than complimentary comment about me in the nudie thread......................thought who is this guy, had a chuckle at your expense i must admit.

Gen Z and the generational divide.
Rule #1. “There are exceptions to every rule.”
Rule #2. “There’s nothing new under the sun.”
Those that have children will oft time see those children reject their parents world view, whatever that is.
Those children in turn may experience the same with their children. It’s a natural occurrence.
Gen Z is showing both sides depending on their parents world view, disdained by their parents and applauded by their grandparents. Nothing new.
I am intrigued by the recent European elections regarding Gen Z. Seems there’s apathy by some yet a zeal by others. The” Establishment” is concerned their projected world view may be rejected by the youth.
Imagine that. Nothing new under the sun.
“If something is going to be shoved down my throat, I’ll be the one shoving.”
Dutchie from “Ride With the Devil”
Fauchi can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a baseball. Confirmed the whole stink show for me yet my children were all in. Generational divide? “A lie is halfway around the world before the truth gets its pants on.” For the sake of civility I haven’t had the retrospective talk with them regarding the plandemic and how they were duped. I think back when raising them up how they would beg their mother to not let Dad talk to them about some infraction, rather please just spank us?

While from what I've seen gen Z is rather unmotivated, I also know it's a small example. Remember all the lower enlisted in the military are gen Z, middle to upper ranks are millennials and gen X are only at the highest ranks now.

I prefer the forum to facebook for the ability to easily search, info stays around a long time, and the responses aren't so vitriolic. I saw a post of a pretty nice home made engine lift, the number of nasty comments makes facebook groups offputting.

My wife's siblings are gen Z, 1 out of 3 has a drivers license. The other 2 passed the written test, but can't be bothered to go take the driving test. They have wed/thurs off from their burger flipping job, so it's purely a lack of desire/motivation. Can't get a better job or even go to tech school without driving.
The one with a license is a self proclaimed "car guy" who couldn't change a flat tire or find the oil filter on the car. I offered to lend them my fender roller so they would quit cutting tires, but the response was "but I don't have power tools".
Holy crap. No license is bad enough, but no power tools? I couldn't function. Come the apocalypse, she with the most tools (and the best generator) wins.

Speaking of, I'm jonesing for one of those whole house natural gas generators. Unfortunately my DH (Translates several way, including Darling Husband) reminds me, our power hasn't gone out for more than four hours since 2004, and if the power grid's down, eventually natural gas will run out, too.

Me: But I want one...

Holy crap. No license is bad enough, but no power tools? I couldn't function. Come the apocalypse, she with the most tools (and the best generator) wins.

Speaking of, I'm jonesing for one of those whole house natural gas generators. Unfortunately my DH (Translates several way, including Darling Husband) reminds me, our power hasn't gone out for more than four hours since 2004, and if the power grid's down, eventually natural gas will run out, too.

Me: But I want one...
Somebody asked what my middle initial "F" stood for. My wife being sooo witty replied quickly with something that sounded like Duck head........

you need me to vote to get you out of the mess you got your self into.

Skull, Should be a slight correction there.
You want me to vote for you,
so you can get me out of the mess that you got me into.
The new generations need to think for themselves and see this.
If they only take info from big media their minds have already been made up for them
one way or the other.

1720536789603.png

But only if you haven't built a cage around yourself to keep it out. Blissfully ignorant.
IMHO

Interesting, I hadn’t considered that.
So if the guests are largely bots and not people that’s even more discouraging as far as the participation volume is.
:shrug:

The guests and bots are separate. Guests should be real people. The 'Members Online' widget on the Forum page used to show the number of bots on the site. I think that went away with the last update.

One other winner is the arboristsite.com
I'm a member there too. They were either bought by groupbuilder or partnered with them a while back, and they've been pushing their supporting memberships pretty hard ever since. They now have a lot more (and bigger) ads too. But I don't blame them because it takes time and money to keep these forums going. It does seem like groupbuilder isn't trying to run its sites into the ground at least. They want to keep them going.

Over the years, I've been approached by every forum-buying group out there to sell this site. Although it can be tempting to sell out to save the headache of running these sites and get some cash to boot, I've resisted because I don't like what they usually do to the forums they buy. This site brings in less and less money from ads, and donations and site supporter members are the only thing keeping it going. Server costs creep up and revenue creeps down, and I worry about the day they meet. So I thank all of you who support this site either financially, by contributing content, or both! This site is coming up on 15 years old in September, and I hope to keep it around for another 15 years at least!

Thank you Travis and the other behind the scenes folks
I've learned a LOT from this site ( mostly leave shit alone ) but the info is here in the tech section as well as all the members who contribute to the site
My hat's off to you all
Thanks
Mikey

Attachments

• windy-windy_days-blowy_days-scarves-helpfulness-fashion-CC24915_low.jpg
    windy-windy_days-blowy_days-scarves-helpfulness-fashion-CC24915_low.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3
I have been here only 4 or 5 years. My son started lurking and joined a few years ago. I am a cheerleader because of the help I received on projects and the fine folks I have met in person or interacted with on line. I do a few FB XS650 groups and always refer them here. When I pass away my son will be asking questions about why you all let me do this fork mod or that paint scheme.
There may be a need for a translator. I see an active Indonesia XS650 community on line.

Back