Frame differences?

neandethal

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am flat tracking my 1973 TX650 and when i draw out the seat units dimensions of those units stated as fitting xs650's my seat support rails seem to be too wide. Now either my ruler is rubbish or the early tx frame is dimensionally different to the later xs.
Can anyone shed form light, cheers Ian

The TX is the last of the original series frame. I could be wrong but I think 70-73 should have the same seat mounts.

sorry not specific enough in my question.
the top seat frame tubes seem wider than any fibreglass tracker seat unit i can find dimensions for and i am guessing the early frames were wider at this point.
I know the early tanks were different also, and all i can find in the UK is a 74 TX tank and not convinced this will fit a 73, the bike came with a later tank and the front rubber mounts are quite a bit different. From searching it was stated 3/ 4" difference, i think more like 1.5" but no idea what tank i have.

There was a discussion earlier this week about gas gaps. The 73 shares a cap with the 74-75 but I suspect the 73 tank (TX650) probably mounts like a 70-72 tank. I do know the 74 (TXA 650 ) tank and seat is different from the 70-72 tank and seat. I wish I could be more specific about measurements but the earliest frame I have is a 74.

https://www.omarsfiberglass.com/cafe

I don`t know what type of seat your looking for but Redmax Speed Shop in the UK has flat track seats that are made in the USA . I`ve used the Knight and Champion seats and they fit with no problem. They also have a UK made Champion seat for the XS650. Redmax has neat stuff.:thumbsup:
XS`s 024.JPG XS`s 011.JPG

...the top seat frame tubes seem wider than any fibreglass tracker seat unit i can find dimensions for and i am guessing the early frames were wider at this point.
... From searching it was stated 3/ 4" difference, i think more like 1.5" but no idea what tank i have.

Yes, the guyz that were getting the brat kits also mentioned wider seat/frame rails on the early models, by about 3/4".

thanks chaps, have been on the redmax speedshop site but prefer the e-ride/c racer stuff and think i will just modify the top rails slightly to give clearance.

Last edited:
Back