Frame question

chicagobuild

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some insight into how the xs650 frame is constructed.
I'm interested in vertical sleeve on the front of the frame. see photo.
Does the inner tube run all the way up to the neck tube with the sleeve covering the whole thing?

upload_2018-3-31_10-10-11.png

I'm go'n to toss out a idea.. early XS units handle'd like a barn door hinge.....in order to stiff'n the frame without change'n all the jigs... engine placement.. plates.... they add'd a sleeve

I cut into my downtubes, a few inches below the neck weld, as shown in this thread, post #2.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-rake-a-stock-frame.42453/

I don't recall double cutting tube-inside-a-tube.

Edit: This more recent pic shows the cuts in the downtubes of an '81 frame.
This one shows double-wall tubes.

xs650chop03.jpg

Edit2: And, this album pic, of a late frame, shows double tubing.

full

Last edited:
OLD SCHOOL RAKEING HAHA go for it TwoMany
I have cut up way too many frames and I would say sleave because they made a lot of motorcycle frames in many pieces.

Thanks for the replies.
Just got a little paranoid that i might be removing to much material.
I'm removing stock gussets and sanding down tabs etc.
I think I should be ok.

IMG_0700.jpg

Thanks 2M!
That's the direction I'm going with new cross bar and gussetts.
I'm using 160 grit flap wheel to blend in old welds and remove other tabs.
As i was doing this I thought that inevitably some areas were going to sand a little deeper than others.
Is there a trick to this process so you don't compromise the frame tubes or am I just being paranoid.....again?

yes, go slow, hold the grinder/drill firm but not hard and let the weight of the tool do the work so there is as little damage to the frame as possible.

$22 for the gussets?? if you can sand welds and weld yourself, why not make your own

...Is there a trick to this process so you don't compromise the frame tubes or am I just being paranoid.....again?

Paranoid? That's just the little voice in your head trying to warn you, but hasn't figured out the lingo.

You can grind down the high spots that aren't providing weld strength. Then there's low spots that'll trick you into grinding down good weld just to get an even surface. Don't fall for it. Fill-in the low spots, either weld or filler. Have a look into JimD54's thread for frame cleanup tricks...

http://www.xs650.com/threads/jims-1980-sg-restoration.50545/

Am I right in thinking the swing arm pivot bracket is a machined piece that is pressed in from the inside outwards and then welded in place?

Attachments

• 3D3FB54E-5898-40DA-A87E-D429AF5E6AF2.jpeg
    3D3FB54E-5898-40DA-A87E-D429AF5E6AF2.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 27DF9C32-E924-40AD-BBAB-2E18F95A84DB.jpeg
    27DF9C32-E924-40AD-BBAB-2E18F95A84DB.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 35
I do not remember a weld between the flat and the round. I cut the boss off and ground it smooth. I believe it is all one piece. I’d imagine they used a jig or spacer to set the inside width, centered it then welded the gap between the frame tube and the flat plate..

Back