Freshly rebuilt xs650 to face fireing squad

Cafe Murdock

Murdock
Reaction score
I have a 79 XS650 with nylon screw and modern regulator rectifier mod with a 706 CC kit from cruising image still has the points in it with a stock setup with points stock 34 mil vacuum carbs just jetted for the bigger cc and air pod filters I'm to the point of I'm about to shoot this bike plum full of damn holes I am aggravated beyond all beliefs for some reason I can't get there to be no way I can get power to not go to my points is if I disconnect my battery it's got a brand new Daddy g Rich Cycles chopper style wiring harness on it with all you know everything's new I don't understand why it's not working I'm getting power to both points constant I'll check my switch I've checked every I cannot find anywhere wires are broke or burnt or anything I've tried putting a toggle switch for the key switch goes I have tried quite literally everything I'm about to take it out and unload every last single shell that I have into this damn bike if I don't figure it out soon that's what's going to happen and then I'm going to set it on fire like I am at my wit's end with it said please somebody help before I lose my temper

Sounds like power is going to the points through the brushes to me. I would be removing the SS reg/rect and reinstalling the separate reg and rectifier. I read in one of your old threads that you didn't try to clean and set the points regulator.

Do a continuity test of the whole wiring loom. This will tell you where the short is........

Possibly you messed up the conversion when installing the TCI SS Reg/rect..........Another alternative is to ditch the SS Reg/rect and build your own with an Automotive regulator and 3 Phase rectifier..........Will only cost, what a few bullets will cost you, shooting up the bike...

Opening several threads about the same problem won't fix it any quicker, only frustrates those that are helping.

Sounds like power is going to the points through the brushes to me. I would be removing the SS reg/rect and reinstalling the separate reg and rectifier. I read in one of your old threads that you didn't try to clean and set the points regulator.

Do a continuity test of the whole wiring loom. This will tell you where the short is........

Possibly you messed up the conversion when installing the TCI SS Reg/rect..........Another alternative is to ditch the SS Reg/rect and build your own with an Automotive regulator and 3 Phase rectifier..........Will only cost, what a few bullets will cost you, shooting up the bike...
I checked for continuity n im get it on all fuses both sides but i was wonderin if it would b the rotor went bad vuz this was never a issue all last year i tore my bike down to put the 706 cc n kit in over winter and wen it all went back together now this

I checked sum more and im getting battery voltage on my grounds from the points and my lights

Attachments

• 16254890874324973541286508728361.jpg
    16254890874324973541286508728361.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 175
Now you have to find the crossed wires where the power is getting to your earth...........Continuity test from the live ground to all your other wires will eliminate where the crossed wire isn't.

A thought..when you wired in the TCI reg/rect did you mix up the power wires. My feeling is something is wrong there............the nylon screw conversion, did you use real nylon screws??....or do it right??

do you have instructions for the DaddyG loom installation

Last edited:
The Ignition(BB) should be taking power from the ignition switch via the Kill Switch. Also recheck the BB wiring connections. They have an unusual color code where at the ignition box the White goes to Earth/Chasis, not the Black???

Hey i put a micro power bb conversion on my 79 xs650 now do i need to do anything special befor removeing my plug boots or workin on any of if or is just disconeceting battery good enough

Back