Front drum brake

Coleslaw

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what side (left or right) the drum brake is mounted? Also trying to find some custom brackets for brake stays. Show me what you have got.

YES! a double leading shoe brake works in only one direction, going "backward" it is very weak, near useless.

front drum plate straight on.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, prolly could make it work. Flip it 180° (side to side.... not upside down).
The parts book sez the cams are the same part #. So leave the cams as is...
rotate shoes 180° and swap the actuating arms front to back.
The only sticking point I see is the cable (outer) attach to the drum favors one side. Might need a custom made cable.
Not sure why you'd want to go to all that trouble though... :umm:

:umm: the stationary shoe pins are fixed. Flip the wheel so the plate is on the other (RH) side the brake will be twin TRAILING shoe.

Attachments

• front drum plate inside activated.jpg
    front drum plate inside activated.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 50
:umm: the stationary shoe pins are fixed. Flip the wheel so the plate is on the other (RH) side the brake will be twin TRAILING shoe.
Yeah.... forgot about the pins on the other end of the shoe.... shoot.
Placard it as " Drive in reverse only?" :sneaky:

Flip the front wheel, then install a 200mm TLS brake plate off a compact car, left hand side.
This will give you TLS brakes, but hydraulically operated.
So you'd need to fit a hydraulic master cylinder and line.
And do the fabrication work to mount the (pressed steel) automotive brake plate.
And you'll loose your speedo drive.

Possibly ugly, awkward, and asthetically just what you don't want.
But it would work - probably too well

Pretty sure I have it in the right side here is the bike so far the previous owner drilled a hole and put a bolt in where the brake stay is. Do you think it would work alright if I just mounted to the fork tube with the bracket that’s on there?

Attachments

• BD3CCFD3-1D2D-494F-92B9-127388055630.jpeg
    BD3CCFD3-1D2D-494F-92B9-127388055630.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 18CF85B9-0CE3-4A65-A005-2FF86D88D763.jpeg
    18CF85B9-0CE3-4A65-A005-2FF86D88D763.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 601262B9-2F82-4C4A-BAF5-1CB2C6415D2E.jpeg
    601262B9-2F82-4C4A-BAF5-1CB2C6415D2E.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 61
Looks like that's the side it's designed to be on. Are you going to turn it so the stay bolt is behind the fork tube?
I assume you want to go the remaining disk brake mounting tab. You'll probably need a longer brake cable....
As long as the stay remains as a tension member when the brake is applied and the angle isn't extreme, (that'll be the trick) it shouldn't be too hard to make it strong enough. The strap will be going behind the fork tube? You will probably need to make a spacer from the fork tab out to the strap. The spacer should be thick cuz it will get side loaded. Quality high tensile bolt, tight fit (no slop in the bolt holes) all important.

Yamaha TZ 250/350 racing motorcycle.
wheels had 40 spokes unlike many Japanese bikes, some of the holes on the flange are not used.

Yamaha TZ 250/350 racing motorcycle.
wheels had 40 spokes unlike many Japanese bikes, some of the holes on the flange are not used.
Now that I see the holes are different sizes I understand. Thanks I just bought a 64 spoke hub (1983 Heritage Special) to replace the one that was stolen from me.

Back