Front fenders from different years

Bobenns

17 years old on my1968 BSA Lightning
Reaction score
I have a 75 xs650 with no front fender. Can I install a front fender from other years without a lot of modification?

According to parts diagrams, '74-'76 used the same fender, also the '73-'74 TX750. '77 and later fenders had no stays, they just bolted to the upper part of the lowers. I suppose it might be possible to fit one, but it won't look original without the stays. Here's some pics of a later fender .....

1JaeEIl.jpg

EHY8Kie.jpg

Hey, thanks for that.
Looks like later ones will work.
At this point I have no fender. Down the road I will watch for a good original fender with stays as it will bolt right on. I see one for sale that is not very bright.
For the time being I will go with what I can get.
I would like to drive it a little bit this year and do more major work on it over the winter.
Bob

It's good to have a fender of some sort, any sort, because they act as a fork brace. Running with nothing on there could have handling issues, especially when you grab that single front brake. It puts lots of twisting force on the forks.

The ones with the fender stays (my 72 and 73) are getting hard to find.
I have the front fender off the 1972 over there to the left above my name. However it is on the rusty side. I suppose if someone wanted to change the look a bit and go with a painted fender it would be usable.

If there is anyone interested I could get some close up pictures and post them.

I have the front fender off the 1972 over there to the left above my name. However it is on the rusty side. I suppose if someone wanted to change the look a bit and go with a painted fender it would be usable.

If there is anyone interested I could get some close up pictures and post them.

72 guard with stays wont fit on any other XS650. 72 Stays are longer than the 73. Trying a 73 guard stays on a later 74 guard there is a a slight difference and the bolt holes don;t line up.

Note the bracket position on the fork legs..........72 is lower down making the stays longer
crop 72 Front end.jpg skull crop text  1 2c a copy.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, just checking part numbers, '72 is different from '73, and '74 - '76 is different from either of them.

72 guard with stays wont fit on any other XS650. 72 Stays are longer than the 73. Trying a 73 guard on a later 74 there is a a slight difference in the guard and stays, so that it wont fit

Note the bracket position on the fork legs..........72 is lower down making the stays longer
View attachment 195502 View attachment 195504
It seems 74 and 75 are the same.

I was quoted $300 at two different shops to rechrome a "straight" front fender, gulp.

Back