Front wheel not spinning

650gts

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as I tighten the castle nut even a little, the wheel stops spinning freely.
Now I'm not even sure if this set up is even right. I took the hub from a 19" wheel and laced it to a 21" rim.
The spacer thing on the disc side (see arrow) remains still when the wheel turns. I pulled this off of my Special mag wheel.
I also added a second large washer under the castle nut because the nut went past the cotter pin hole.

Take a look at the pictures and ket me know if you see anything missing or incorrect. This is driving me insane.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 150
Did you install new bearings in the wheel, and if so, did you include the tube spacer between them inside the hub?

Try loosening the 2 nuts on the bottom of the left fork a little before you tighten the castle nut. If those nuts are tightened before the castle nut you could be pinching the hub between the forks

It does not look as a stock disc ...What parts are used in relation to a parts schematic for the right model
And yes to Mr ippytattoo there is an instruction for the tightening.

As already suggested, loosen the cap nuts and tighten the castle nut, if the wheel stops spinning, either the spacer is missing, too short or one of the bearings has worked it's way way off it's seat a little resulting in it not contacting the spacer.

Do you have the brake caliper on? if you're running a non-oem brake setup the caliper/rotor spacing might be off.

I'm with 5 twins here. If the spacer IS in there then see if it is held "just snug" between the bearings, if not; bearings prolly aren't seated fully.

I'm with 5 twins here. If the spacer IS in there then see if it is held "just snug" between the bearings, if not; bearings prolly aren't seated fully.
Thanks. I took the wheel off and checked it out. The spacer is there, but there's wiggle room. I don't know if this is normal, but it's real easy to move.
Here are some pix and a video that shows the movement.

FYI, I did try the tightening sequence mentioned above with no luck. (Castle nut first, then clamp on left fork)
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG

Thanks. I took the wheel off and checked it out. The spacer is there, but there's wiggle room. I don't know if this is normal, but it's real easy to move.
Here are some pix and a video that shows the movement.

FYI, I did try the tightening sequence mentioned above with no luck. (Castle nut first, then clamp on left fork)View attachment 206800View attachment 206801View attachment 206802
What an awesome reply!
5⭐
That spacer "tightness" looks about right.

Guess I would find the right size socket and solidly tap around the outside edges of both bearings one more time, make sure they are both fully and squarely seated. If a bearing isn't squarely or fully seated you will HEAR a difference as you tap around. Just for grins put the axle through the forks without the wheel on it does everything line up, assemble easily?
Then put the axle in the wheel, find some spacers (large nuts or whatever) so you can tighten down the nut see if the wheel will spin freely when it's not in the forks.

Good idea Gary, basically the assembly pulls everything to the fork leg on nut side then you tighten the clamp side on the axle end.
If you use the standard wheel spacers as Gary suggested and fill in the rest with other spacers enough so the you can get the nut to snug up the assembly you should be able to tell if it's a bearing issue or something else.
With that different brake disc carrier I would seriously look to see if the disc is making hard contact in the caliper, actually you could remove the caliper and let it hang and see if the wheel is free when you tighten the axle. That would tell you for sure if caliper contact is the culprit.

I also added a second large washer under the castle nut because the nut went past the cotter pin hole.
that's gotta be a clue you shouldn't need to add that washer some spacer is not to spec.
What wheel did the hub come from? There are some other smaller Yamahas that use a slightly narrower hub.
Xs650 hub dimensions.
front hub dimensioned.jpg

Axle/spacer dimensions.
front axle dimensions 73 on.jpg

front wheel assembly and parts breakdown.
front wheel.png

that's gotta be a clue you shouldn't need to add that washer some spacer is not to spec.
What wheel did the hub come from? There are some other smaller Yamahas that use a slightly narrower hub.
Xs650 hub dimensions.
View attachment 206807

Axle/spacer dimensions.
View attachment 206808

front wheel assembly and parts breakdown.
View attachment 206809
I measured everything and my hub is dead on with the dimensions above. It's from an XS650 for sure.
All of my axle and spacer measurements check out too. This is really weird. I started with a 78 Special with mags if that makes a difference.
So the axle, speedogear, basically everything on outside of the bearings is from the mag wheel.

As 5 Twins suggested, I also put the axle only through the forks as well. I didn't try the axle through the wheel out side of forks. I could find anything to space it with.

Maybe the bearings are bad? They spin though.
I have a brand new set of all balls I can put in.

Maybe I'll try to throw my mag back on see if that still works.
Also, I measured from the outer speedo gear to the right side spacer on both wheels and I'm getting the 148mm on both.

"I measured everything and my hub is dead on"

It can't be-obviously.
Bearings not seated
seal pinched by a spacer
missing or wrong shim washers
loose inner spacer are clues

pop off the oil seals, speedo drive rings, assemble, test, any difference? did you "set" the bearings against the stop in the hub?

Is that seal inserted the right way ...top picture post # 8
If remember right there is always a flat surface ( more or less )
outwards
I am there also

did you "set" the bearings against the stop in the hub?

Finally got every thing right.
The spacer in the hub which was put in by someone else was incorrect.
I used the one from my mag and installed new bearings. Rollin' smooth now.
Thanks to all for the input.
👍
I have a question, could you answer it...
How long are your spokes to tie a 19 hub to a 21 wheel?

Back