Fuel cocks to tank

Xmarksthespot

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
:) hey guys had a quick look around and didn't see an answer, didn't find one in my manual either.

I bought some new fuel cocks and assorted needed gaskets for my '73 TX and after a period of non activity (recently repaired rotator cuff) I can get at it. Here's the thing, I removed the old cocks and have discovered that there is a fibre gasket between the gas tank and fuel cocks.

Now I never ordered one as I did not see it in the list of needed things in the manual or on line, so I am thinking this may be the result of the previous owner adding something unnecessary when he was messing with it. I am assuming a clean surface and the o ring is all that is needed, but I am willing to be corrected.

Thanks for any replies in advance, X.

the oring should be enuf unless the paint is all tattered, or the surface is rough.

I too have a 73 that I installed new petcocks, however after new o-rings and the fiber gasket, I still have a dripping of gas from one of the screws holding the petcock to tank. It was suggested to me to use some gasket maker when installing the screws to eliminate any leakage. Has anyone tried this with success?

The screws have (had) a composite, soft metal? washer that makes the seal, it always has for me and I reuse the factory washer. IIRC That's a #3 philips screw slot, a #2 screw driver will not let you get the screws tight without burring the heads. I like to use a light tap on the hand impact to "final set" the screw. Also IIRC 73 is a bit oddball and needs a spacer between the tank and petcock or the petcock touches the tank seam which will cause a leak.

:) having now had a better look at the gaskets that were there, both damaged as the previous owner used some glue that stuck gasket to the bottom of the fuel cocks. I am thinking a full scrape off of what remains and make gaskets unless there are some available for sale. I used to have to make gaskets for my previous Brit bikes years ago so maybe time to use that skill again. It's no fun doing this if everything goes right all the time:banghead:......

Well gggGary I wasn't sure what meant about the tank seam and the pet cock until after I had cleaned the remaining gasket off the tank bottom. I can see that as the pet cock is tightened against the o ring that the tap may indeed touch the seam, so I guess a gasket is in order, or perhaps many many layers of paint.

:)Thanks for the links and replies guys, I checked out the nos gaskets on e-bay, but at $30.00 each and shipping to the great white north,(ok, the moderate climate Vancouver Island), I couldn't sleep at night having paid $70.00+ for two gaskets I think can be made.

Having looked at the salvageable good gasket left, it is now very clear that it was made on the work bench. So off to the auto parts store for some gas/oil resistant material and maybe a tube of form a gasket for a light coat and give that a shot, if nothing else I will learn something.

:)Well that would be an ambitious little project, but before I did that I would consider cutting and filing down the selector tap so that it would not contact the tank. I think it will be easier to just make two gaskets with some gasket material.

Back