Fuel line "hose barb" fitting sources

Reaction score
I have some manual petcocks for a standard tank that seem to have 3/16" barbed outlets. My Mikuni VM34s seem to have 1/4" barbed inlets. Is there a source to match one or the other? I can go with 1/4" or 3/16" but I don't know where to start looking. Truthfully I kludged the fit on the Red Bike with safety wire but when I fit a Standard tank I want it to be tidy.

3/16" seems very small. What is the ID? Are you going to use a inline filter?
The sizes may properly be 4mm and 6mm. I would like to match one to the other so I don't need a reducer or a mickeymouse solution. Then, is an inline filter of a finer mesh than the in tank strainers of the petcocks? Is a finer mesh needed? I am into my bowls, changing jets and reassembling in under 7 minutes.

This is the petcock fitting. It is sized at ~6mm. I would like to find one sized 8mm. Then I would not need reducers.
17169958796027501932279755682617.jpg

tacky ole me but 1/4 by 3/8" tygon works just fine both ends, I like to keep a spring sleeve on the line to prevent kinking.
Especially on the LH side. Yeah I should wind a stainless steel sleeve and replace that ugly thing..
KIMG6704.JPG

:twocents: simple is best don't add fittings/ filters and complicate it.
Think I changed the lines after about 5 years of usage. I previously had a much more complicated set up and scrapped it in favor of simple.
20180519_164856.jpg

The sizes may properly be 4mm and 6mm. I would like to match one to the other so I don't need a reducer or a mickeymouse solution. Then, is an inline filter of a finer mesh than the in tank strainers of the petcocks? Is a finer mesh needed? I am into my bowls, changing jets and reassembling in under 7 minutes.
I’m using the “mickeymouse” solution. I slid a 3/16” piece of Tygon over the nipple. I slid the 1/4” Tygon tube and wire clamp over it. It’s not how I like to roll, but it’s working. It’s not leaking.

A VW parts supplier like J Bugs has 6 mm fuel hose, it's slightly smaller than 1/4'', 8mm = 5/16''.

I believe the barbs for the Yamaha and Hondas at the time were the same. I know Honda ran a 5.5mm ID hose.

I am running into this same situation with my Suzuki.

Barbs off the tank are bigger than off the carbs.

Braided line seems to leak.

I ordered non braided tygone 3/16 line this morning in hopes that it work better.

I believe the barbs for the Yamaha and Hondas at the time were the same. I know Honda ran a 5.5mm ID hose.

I am running into this same situation with my Suzuki.

Barbs off the tank are bigger than off the carbs.
So how did the manufacture address this. Did they use tubing that fit over the smaller fitting and stretched it over the bigger one? Or did they use a tube with two different size ends?

So how did the manufacture address this. Did they use tubing that fit over the smaller fitting and stretched it over the bigger one? Or did they use a tube with two different size ends?

Well I swapped from a vacuum petcock to a gravity fed which are not stock, but the vac one required a rebuild (no parts available) or a replacement (nos is about $800) sooo… I stuck an aftermarket petcock on it. The mismatched barbs is a problem I created not the manufacturer.

The molded lines as gggGary referenced is an option.

We are working with non OEM parts here. Kudos to those that desire to stay OEM. These little challanges and the solutions we find are what make life interesting.. :banghead:

Back