Fuel tank rear rubber mount question.

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The fuel tank on my ‘76 has a rear mount that doesn’t appear to be the same as other bikes I’ve looked at. All the parts listings I’ve seen show a rubber mount like tge one shown in the first photo. My tank doesn’t gave this large rubber piece, but had what looks like a simple grommet (similar to photo #2 but flatter) in the hole at the end of the tank. This mount fits well onto the mounting post on the frame but I’m wondering if I should be getting the “proper” rubber mount for it? I can post actual pics later today.

IMG_3394.png
IMG_3402.png

I would have thought it better to find the correct rubber mount as it gives support to the rear end (ooh err) of the tank.

I had to deal with this area recently when the tang at the rear of the (Indian copy) tank broke off and I was lucky enough to buy a new rubber mount from Sumo Trading who sadly are no longer trading. You would be welcome to the original mount from mine, which I replaced because it has hardened over the years but I have no idea what postage to Canada would cost?

I'd say the stock grommet would help to prevent the tank from listing port to starboard as it adds a level playing field - aside from just the frame posts rubber buffer.
Other opinions may vary.

I would have thought it better to find the correct rubber mount as it gives support to the rear end (ooh err) of the tank.

I had to deal with this area recently when the tang at the rear of the (Indian copy) tank broke off and I was lucky enough to buy a new rubber mount from Sumo Trading who sadly are no longer trading. You would be welcome to the original mount from mine, which I replaced because it has hardened over the years but I have no idea what postage to Canada would cost?
Thx @Raymond. Looks like XS650DIRECT sells an aftermarket piece I can get easily (they are only an hour from here). I guess I should order one.

Update - I should rename this thread to “my latest feel dumb moment”.

I went to take a closer look at the “grommet” and it turns out the proper rubber mount is actually there. All is good now except for feeling a bit silly. 🤓
On the bright side, you found out before you ordered a new one.
thumbsup.gif

Back