gap at front wheel. Does this look right?

CoastsideXS650

Princeton Motor Works
Reaction score
There seems to be a gap in the front forks where the wheel connects to the front axle. It seems like there should not be so much space but I can't figure it out. Anyone know if this looks right?

Bike is a 1980 fork/triple assembly. Front wheel is 77 front hub and axle.

20130403-215753.jpg

Yes that is normal. The axle boss sit/goes through the pinch clamp on the bottom the fork. When assembling, remember to tighten your axle nut before you tighten your pinch clamp.

That does look a bit wide. They usually fit up tighter than that .....

SpeedoDrive.jpg

You might try loosening the clamp cap on the axle and pumping the forks up and down a few times. Maybe that will center things up better.

Might be a bent fork or triple. Mine looked like that. If i rotated the tubes the gap would close and open, meaning something wasnt straight.

Hotdog - why do you have to tighten the axle nut before the lower pinch clamp? Ive read that a couple of times but no one has ever explained why.

The left side of the axle is shouldered and acts as part of the wheel spacing on that side (along with the speedo drive). Tightening the axle first pulls it in and allows it to do that. It also pulls the wheel over tight to the right (disc) side so the spacing is correct there. If you tighten the clamp 1st, you could be pulling the fork in along with the axle which could bind the fork.

Took a closer look at mine (and got a better pic). Yes, there is a gap but a bit smaller than yours .....

FrontAxleGap.jpg

If you have a fender mounted, maybe it's not fitting correctly (too wide) and spreading the forks some?

I loosened everything up and re-tightened it. I also gently nudged the fork lower with a rubber mallet. It seemed to take up a bit of space. Looks more like everyone elses now. Thanks for the help guys.

Back