Getting my 83 back on the road

Superjet

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I would show some pics of my bike from when I got it up until now. I know you guys like build threads but this is all I have. Lets begin...... 20180106_112342_HDR.jpg 20180106_193556.jpg 20180106_193639.jpg 20180112_213306.jpg 20180113_163235.jpg
20180127_115528.jpg 20180207_150712.jpg

***The engine was badly painted silver which I thought was replaced until I saw the S# was matching. Took some lacquer thinner to it but still have some cleaning up to do***

Attachments

• 20180124_220644.jpg
    20180124_220644.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
20180831_072100.jpg 20180831_072110.jpg
Saw the bike on Kijiji (Craiglist in Canada) and thought I would go for it. Drove 3 hrs away to see. Got it to run on one cylinder and then negotiated. Brought it home then the work started. Sorry dont have many pics but took some key ones. Changed the oil and voila!! Little bits!! Tore it all down and found the problem. The guide was not centered between the jugs and needs to be very critical. Everything was leaking before so while apart replaced all gaskets and seals. Rebuilt the front forks, brakes and wired the entire bike. Rebuilt the original carbs but then purchased a used set and rebuilt them along with new butterfly seals. New lighting, controls and switches. Got new tires and tubes. New mufflers, wrapped and reused mixed matched headers.

What I had in mind for this is to get this bike running, stopping and safe for this past riding season. It is not perfect. Many bikes on here are beautiful but this one has given me a solo rider and got me back on an XS. I really have learned lots and still do by reading plenty on this site. I thought I would share a few pics and moments of getting my 83 back on the road. Thanks guys for all of your help!

I kinda liked the old pipes....:rolleyes:

Great work JC. Good update, thanks for posting the progress pics.

Happy to see you're back in the saddle again.......for a few more days anyways eh?

Possible snow flurries forecast here in London next week. :( Gonna be wearing the woollies this weekend. :yikes:

I had a budget once. It got blown one piece at a time. Every piece I took off "The Basketcase" made me realize I was going to have to replace them with new (expensive) better parts. I'm still taking it apart! :banghead: The list just keeps getting longer. The build has evolved over the years, thank God it's only been in the last 6 months that I've actually been working on it...

Hey Robin and thanks! Well not much more riding here on the east coast. A high of 7 degrees tomorrow and I am done for this year unless we get a nicer day. Got my XS and Roadstar ready for winter. Have a fire on in my pellet stove at home. Summer went by way too fast.

I had a budget once. It got blown one piece at a time.

For this one I was able to unload some Roadstar parts had laying around, got out of my electric guitar stuff and then sold bits off this bike. Even with the initial cost of the bike covered, my thoughts of an easy fix/low budget was taken out the window with hurricane force winds :laugh2:

Back