Gimme some direction?

mseriously

Newb
Reaction score
I have a '78 with mikuni vm34's, mac 2 into 1, 700cc, shell #1 cam. Carbs have 6f9 needle clip set in the middle (counting up from bottom it's #3) 159p6 needle jet, 25 pilot jet, 180 main, 3.3 needle valve. Has PMA and Pamco.

It ran when I bought it, albeit a bit roughly. About mid range it would choke out then surge on up to high rpm's. I figured I'd take the carbs off and clean them. Come to find out when I'm looking at the carbs, one side of the throttle cable 2into1 is longer than the other so one plunger is opening and the other side only about half way. Kind of explains why it was running rough right?

I remedied that and cleaned the carbs and put them back on. Put new gaskets on the exhaust to fix a leak at the manifold, also sealed a joint in the muffler that was leaking. Bike fired right off and idled all right. Put vacuum guages on the barbs and synced them to the best of my ability. It ran. Changed the filters to UNI type foam. But it just didn't seem to have any midrange power which some people on the board have complained about with the mac 2 into 1.

Rode it for a few weeks to work and the gasket leak came back. I read about the torque inserts and figured I'd give them a try along with ordering new oem copper exhaust gaskets. In the mean time I checked the valves and adjusted them according to this video:

Put the exhaust back on along with the inserts to see if it would help the midrange problem. It really had no effect and as I suspected it run a little worse. I figured the inserts would lean it out a bit and that's kinda what it seemed to do. Also while I was tuning it riding it around with some tools the primary needle came loose? Not sure how that happened but it made my day worse. It had come up out of it's seat and the bike was stuck on nearly open throttle until I found the problem.

Anyway at that point I just wanted to get it home. Got it home and took out the inserts, then messed with the needle clip position to no avail. Went up and down and the original 3rd spot is where it would start and run. But now at this point it won't even start anymore and I'm at my wits end. Not sure what I should try next...

I know this is long winded, but, I just can't seem to figure out my next step. Anyone have any suggestions?

You have disturbed so much now that it looks like you are going to have to start at the beginning and systematically work your way through everything.

The problem now is that it is likely to be a combination of things that is needed.

Make sure that you have a fully charged battery for testing ,use an external car battery if necessary so that you have a good charge to supply the coils.

Work your way through this non start/run guide it will give you a systematic checklist of checks and tests .
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390

yeah I think its the only way you are going to be sure that you've covered everything and get a reliable and enjoyable ride at the end of it.

To be honest there are so many components that could be contributing to this problem not least of which the cold start chokes .
Be especially meticulous with the valve gaps and the timing and check and clean all your grounds too.

Keep us informed of progress there are some really knowledgable and helpful folk on here that will be awake soon:laugh:

I started over again. Disassembled carbs, checked float levels. Cleaned and re-assembled. Checked carb mounts for leaks. Set carb air screw at 11/2 turns then went to exhaust. Tightened heads and checked for leaks. All is well so far. Started it up and it ran?!?! But like complete shit! Barely idling and running WAY rich. Moving forward.

Next I moved on to electrical. Started at the battery. I know I'm getting spark because it ran...with battery in motorcycle I put meter on and got 12V. Seems legit. Then I turned the key, went to 8.9 volts. That's a red flag there. Tried the headlight, it wouldn't turn on...I'm thinking electrical is the problem.

I was unsure how old the battery was, so, replaced it with AGM style everstart. Put the fluid in and charged over night. Took the kid to school and got back to hook it all up and kick it over. bANG. Started on first kick and revved up fine.

Now to sort carbs and get it proper tuned. Lesson learned: motorcycles can act all kinds of weird with bad batteries/electrical. I'll know now what to look for in the future...thanks for the suggestion Peanut...calmed me down and got me back to the beginning.

There are so many tools/tutorials/knowledge pools here...searching around will find you damn near everything. Awesome.

I've never understood why people start messing with the carbs before going thru the electrics. The best old mechanic I ever knew said 99% of all carburetor problems are electrical.

I've never understood why people start messing with the carbs before going thru the electrics. The best old mechanic I ever knew said 99% of all carburetor problems are electrical.

+1 he sure wasn't wrong there.:D

One of the first places I'd look is in the headlamp bowl. A lot of the significant wiring passes through that tiny cramped space then the headlight is rammed in on top of it :doh:

Back