"God Bless The Queen"

Leslie

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Been a great couple of days here in North Nottinghamshire "Sherwood Forest" which is dotted with 20th century pit villages, in my community the Queen has strong support and is well loved, same as the rest of the world we have the odd communist/labour supporters who hate everything English, but f##k them.

Actually, TG, it's her 70th celebration. She came to the throne in 1952, no other monarch has held office for as long.

Queen Elizabeth represents continuity because for the overwhelming majority of her subjects in Britain and in Commonwealth countries around the World, she has been a constant factor all their lives. I think an overwhelming majority of people in Britain, whatever their politics, respect her majesty for the serious commitment she has given to the rôle over that very long reign. She is known and loved for the dignity of her public persona, for keeping out of politics, and for her wicked sense of humour in private.

Actually, TG, it's her 70th celebration. She came to the throne in 1952, no other monarch has held office for as long.

Queen Elizabeth represents continuity because for the overwhelming majority of her subjects in Britain and in Commonwealth countries around the World, she has been a constant factor all their lives. I think an overwhelming majority of people in Britain, whatever their politics, respect her majesty for the serious commitment she has given to the rôle over that very long reign. She is known and loved for the dignity of her public persona, for keeping out of politics, and for her wicked sense of humour in private.

Here here - well said Raymond!

Pete

I wonder if Triumph Motorcycles will make a Platinum jubilee for this celebration...or wait for the 75th?
1654360080978.png

1977 Triumph Silver Jubilee...

@Leslie I'm a republican. I don't believe there should be head of state who is there just because of an accident of birth. So I don't approve of the institution. But I don't find anything to sneer at in the Queen, in Elisabeth, herself. She has served the country for 70 years and done so without any of us having the slightest indication of her political opinions or any trials and tribulations she has had along the way, unlike other members of the royal family. I see a lot to admire and a lot to praise in this.

I'm a lifelong trade unionist. I actually worked for the last ten years before I retired a few months ago as a trade union organiser. So, I count myself as Left. But some of the Left have been, over recent decades, "a bit sh*t". They sneer at the jubilee celebrations because they are sneering as the "little people" with their flags and cups of tea. I find nothing laudable in constant criticism of Britain and sneering at anyone who is the least patriotic.

(Have we a free pass to talk politics BTW?)

@Leslie I'm a republican. I don't believe there should be head of state who is there just because of an accident of birth. So I don't approve of the institution. But I don't find anything to sneer at in the Queen, in Elisabeth, herself. She has served the country for 70 years and done so without any of us having the slightest indication of her political opinions or any trials and tribulations she has had along the way, unlike other members of the royal family. I see a lot to admire and a lot to praise in this.

I'm a lifelong trade unionist. I actually worked for the last ten years before I retired a few months ago as a trade union organiser. So, I count myself as Left. But some of the Left have been, over recent decades, "a bit sh*t". They sneer at the jubilee celebrations because they are sneering as the "little people" with their flags and cups of tea. I find nothing laudable in constant criticism of Britain and sneering at anyone who is the least patriotic.

(Have we a free pass to talk politics BTW?)
DaveO I was in a trade union for 12 years (NUM) back in my Dad and Grandads era they were possibly one of the best union in Industrial Britain, until a Marxist took over and was sucker punched into dividing the union in 84. Everyone in the United Kingdom is allowed to have their views, and if you are like me, listen to them and try and glean what you can to better/educate yourself, and most importantly any view is subjective. I am an from an Anglo Irish family although my grandparents were Catholics, you couldn't meet a bigger Loyalist than my Grandmother "Flo", Long live free speech and respect others opinions, nearly forgot "God Bless the Queen"

Back