going cross-eyed

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
1976 XS 650 -changing out the harness, both the old one and the new one have these terminals with yellow and brown leads in the headlight pot which I cannot identify and there do not seem to be any matching items to hook into it. This part of the harness was labelled "top" by a po which does make any sense to me. The Haynes book does not have a diagram specifically for '76, nor does this site, so I am guessing that it's the same as '75 which I have looked over with a magnifying glass. The rest of the connections I have under control, I think, except for this mystery. Any quick id would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
I have had the benefit now of seeing page 13 of Jayel's album and see that brown and yellow has to do with rear brake, but the actual connections remain elusive.

Attachments

• SAM_2398.jpg
    SAM_2398.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
The horn is already hooked into the system with brown and pink, these terminals are both 90 degree female round sockets with hard black plastic coating, yellow and brown.

Full disclosure, the existing harness was real shabby so I had a spare from a 75 that was better and started putting that on, then the colours were pretty faded so I bought a fresh 76 harness from 650 direct. Each of them have this "feature".
The new harness has these two wires wrapped sort of backwards from the rest of the connections so it appears that it is meant to be outside the bucket, see the first picture to help explain that.
The second last shot shows the horn hook up, flash has washed out colours.

Attachments

• SAM_2401.jpg
    SAM_2401.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 184
  • SAM_2403.JPG
    SAM_2403.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 176
  • SAM_2404.JPG
    SAM_2404.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 169
  • SAM_2400.jpg
    SAM_2400.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 190
Sorry, I misinterpreted the first photo.

On your machine brown is always switched power; yellow is never ground. The brown wire will carry DC into a switch and the yellow wire will carry it out to the device that's powered when the switch closes. Hook up an ohm meter to the yellow terminal and probe yellow wires downstream. When you find continuity, you've found the destination, and you'll know where to connect both yellow and brown. You may be looking at the front brake light switch leads.

That's what they are on my 75.
The 75 and 76 are pretty much the same bike. They just swapped the front brake caliper to the rear of the fork and painted it a different color.
In the Clymer book, page 220/221are the XS650B and C diagrams. on page 220 the first item at the upper left is the front brake switch. It shows a yellow and brown wire. The switch will be a round unit on the side of the brake line junction mounted on the lower fork tree. Kinda under and behind the headlight.
Leo

Yes, I'm pretty sure they plug onto the front hydraulic brake light switch.

Thank you, thank you. You all are the best!

It is now obvious why that part was wrapped like it did not go in the headlight and also why it was made more weather proof and durable. I could not make the connection as I have all the brake parts off ready to be refreshed, plus I expected the front brake switch to be part of the bar switch as the later ones are.

Cheers

Attachments

• SAM_2406.jpg
    SAM_2406.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 155
Back