Good or bad buy

Snah

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Scott and just fyi I am very new to this forum. Pretty much new to the entire bike scene, but really interested. However, I am in a dilemma. I recently came across a 79/80 XS 650 and I love everything about it. The only problem is, I don’t know Jack about bikes so not sure if it would be worth it to buy. I was hoping someone out there could give me some guidance.

So a little bit about the bike:
It’s a project bike that the current owner started many years ago. He says it is almost finished but it’s been so long he doesn’t quite remember where he left off. ( I spoke with him face to face and it’s sounds like he was genuine and really cared for it during that time. Life happened and he doesn’t have time or energy to will it back to life.)
He believes that all there is left to do is:
Fuel lines replacement
Carburetor adjustments
Battery replacement and paint job
And minor tweaks.

He is asking for 2.2k, for someone who has no background in fixing bikes, is this a good buy? Those things seem really straight forward and simple but I’m old enough to know that, that’s unlikely esp for older machines.

What to do? Any advice or tips would be great! Thanks XS community!!!

Scott

More than I would pay for a non-running bike. Then again, pricing is tied to area and availability and that might not be horrible for Alaska.

Good news is, 99% of the parts are readily available and with a little reading and practice, they're dead simple to work on. Pretty much everything you need to know is on this site somewhere, and what little is not, one or another of us can walk you through.

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum. IMO I would be looking at a running bike and start knowing it by doing simple maintenance and little by little getting to do more advanced tasks and learning as you go. I have done this and has proven to me to be a good start. In the end, no matter what we say, the end decision is yours. Good luck with your purchase and ask any questions away and pics and always welcome. JC

That's pretty pricey for a non-running bike that's in project mode, but as DE said, in Alaska...what other options do you have? Well... then again, what the cost to ship a bike to you in running condition? I know someone that has a sweet '77 for sale...asking $1650 in good/running condition, but it's in Appleton, Wisconsin.

They are pretty simple to work on, and assuming it's all there, and no major issues...won't take too much to get started. Being new to bikes--that may change the cost/time/effort a bit. Personally, I would much rather find something that is running so I can enjoy it...and then work on tweaking it, vs. trying to get it together to see if I even like it in the first place. But then again, having a project is really fun too... So I guess it depends on what you think you'll enjoy more? Riding or building?

Good luck either way...and maybe post some pics so we can see just what level/condition it's in.

Yup - I agree. In my view, $2200 is top dollar for an XS650 - and for that I would want a pretty nice bike in fully rideable condition with OK rubber, good chrome and solid paint. For a disassembled project that doesn't run, I wouldn't pay more than about $3-400.

However, as stated above, I am not calibrated for Alaska - but I would caution that the road between not running and rideable is paved with money, time and skill and for a newby, it could simply wind up as a big PITA.

BTW - when I say money, I do NOT mean $20,000 - but quite often, many hundreds of dollars and lots of time and effort and know-how.....

Last edited:
Hello Snah
This forum has been an infinite well of sound advice for me as I have put my XS back together. Like you, I am no mechanic but the guidance found here has helped to bridge the gaps in what little knowledge I have.
Having said that, we can consider the good advice on offer in this thread. Downeaster and Pete say, pricing is involved in locality. A decent XS here in Oz can sell for 9 grand and upward. Mine cost $4500 (AUD), about 3 grand in your bucks. It was only just running so I stripped her down immediately - mistake one - get to know the bike first by tinkering and researching here, as Brassneck points out. She then took me almost 4 years and three and a half thousand dollars to rebuild so, in spite of the hefty purchase price, I could re-sell her at a profit . The Forum support was marvellous, as Downeaster and Superjet suggest. The headaches, interminable. I have spent hours just sitting and looking at the thing imaging the wind in my hair (which didn't accompany me to 65), the rumble of the exhaust and the envious looks I would gain from those who have more modern and characterless motorcycles. We don't have a riding season but, as Gary hints, waiting for parts can add weeks to the simplest task and road time in Alaska must be precious
My SE is now running OK and there are just a few items left to address. This has all been great fun, (ask Machine) and has allowed me to meet some fascinating and like-minded people through the Forum pages.
So..... is $3000(AUD) too expensive for a non goer? Not necessarily. Will the bike only require the repairs listed in your OP? Highly unlikely. Will you become infatuated with the project and learn some amazing stuff while you ignore the other pressing essentials of life? Almost certainly. Will there be moments involving intense frustration, soaring success and limitless patience. Absolutely, unless God is on your side. Will you end up with a unique motorcycle that will draw the attention of beautiful women and rugged men? Definitely. Will it be fun? Yes.
Good luck!

Project bike is someone else's failure..........If the builder... "cant remember where i left off".... a spidery sense time for me.........If he has forgotten where he was at, but say's a list of things he thinks and adds "some minor tweaks", it means you cant really take much from it.........Depending on experience then a visual will confirm or deny what the owner is telling you...........

Project bike......also what was the project, tracker,hardtail, rat, cafe...........

Best thing to do is.........Ask for a comprehensive set of pics and post them up.........probably the only way to help you gauge the bike in its state........$ wise that is a local thing and as much as i would like to say to high or not, can't.......make sure and get to know what bikes are worth locally and only then can a decision be made as its worth.........

Will you end up with a unique motorcycle that will draw the attention of beautiful women and rugged men?

I'm crating my bike up and heading your way!

Life is full of delusional old men............think i see one in the mirror every morning......now where are my glasses

He says it is almost finished but.....

There's an old axiom in the homebuilt airplane world that sez... the last 10% of the build takes 90% of the time. I've found that holds pretty much true of bikes also.
I'll opine that, as others have said... buy a runner, enjoy a summers riding, learn from it... and spend the winter making it into the bike you want. Good luck.

Wow guys, I’m blown away with all the responses. Thanks for all the suggestions, tips, and opinions I really do appreciate you guys taking your time out of your day in helping me out.

Sounds like the majority of y’all say it’s a no go but I’m still mulling it over. Lots to think about. However, I did have some pics. I hope it’s okay I post these even though they’re not my bike but the owner allowed me to take em so. Lemme know what y’all think!
Btw, I think I know why he’s asking for so much. I forgot to add that it was a total rebuild. When he got the bike it was pretty much a beater and frame. So everything on there is pretty new.
Thanks XS

Attachments

• C5F788AE-9A42-4FF5-AD06-63C1527672C9.jpeg
    C5F788AE-9A42-4FF5-AD06-63C1527672C9.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 240
  • 15EFF830-5C91-46FF-9E37-7F67BBDF31DA.jpeg
    15EFF830-5C91-46FF-9E37-7F67BBDF31DA.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 4766B8DA-9B3D-4B92-9B33-6C79BF8E8F7B.jpeg
    4766B8DA-9B3D-4B92-9B33-6C79BF8E8F7B.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 240
First off it looks tidy and as though he has done a respectable job.........Check the ID numbers for starters..........

Rear wheel has a drum brake. This wheel only came out on bikes from 81.

Has a braided steel brake line, good......looks like it it may heve been on the original bars, (buckhorn way taller), and it is just wrapped around the light once to take up the slack.........Ok shouldn't make a difference to operations........oddity??

Single carb.........Pros: looks like a good job......Cons: can be a pain to tune due to the manifold, Defiantly a leg rubber. .........try to find out some background on where the carb was bought and was it jetted for an XS650..........If it is a mikes XS carb then ????.......Nothing that cant be swapped or fixed

Cant see a petcock on the tank...........later special tanks have a single petcock..........MikesXs and others sell a gas cap.

Check, (or ask about the ignition), under the chrome cover, above the spark-plug, on the right hand side. It looks to have an aftermarket ignition, Pamco, Boyer ???

As to value it could be ok.............if the work standard is as good as it looks in the pics then the guy could be genuine.........

looking under the seat will help to know what the wiring is like.

With all that white you will be able to sneak up on deer in the winter snow

Yeah, I started to say it is clean and anybody here can tell you he's put some money in it. If you bought one running, you still would not know how the bike was run. Some folks like to stay in it. I ride like granny on Sunday. 2K. Doesn't take long to get that in one. Ask to run a compression check. Pull the plugs and kick it over and listen for any hard knocks. Best of all if you had a buddy that knows a bit about bikes.

Edit: What 650skull said!

Flat out: That is not a "new to motorcycles" bike.
you will spend 2 to 4 times the Purchase price and countless hours before you can go anywhere on it.
That's a rich mans toy, best for trips to the bar.
If you had a couple of years of motorcycle experience and knew what you were getting into, then..... mebbie.

Yeah... what Gary said.
Single VM carb setups ain't usually plug and play. Gonna require some tuning skills. Same with homemade wiring... there will be glitches to work out. Does Alaska require a speedo? Forks will need a fender or brace. Needs a chain guard or a closet full of bluejeans. ;) You said the owner started building it many yrs ago... tires may be well past their use by date. Lots of nickel and dimes there, not to mention the hours.
I can see why you like it... good lookin' bike. For the 4 to 6K you'll have in it eventually, you could buy a nice runner.

At first I was like umm no don’t pay that then I saw the pics. It looks like they have at least put some time a money into fixing it up a little. If you’re willing to learn how to wrench as a hobby then I say dive in. If you want to pay a mechanic to fix it then you are better off buying a newer bike that runs for about two grand more.

Back