got my first xs650

Tristan805

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so! got myself a 1975 xs650
love this thing it looks amazing. wish i could say i did the work myself but i actually found it this way.
anyways, i got a problem! things happened in this exact order.
1. got bike
2. clutch was super stiff so decided to re-rout the clutch cable so that it had more slack.
3. left the key on and battery died.

so i decided, great, change battery and fix clutch cable at the same time,
added a trickle battery charger for the antigravity battery that it has, re-routed clutch cable.

heres where the problems started.

now, when i turn the key a poping sound happens the first time, sounds likes it comming from the carb??

bike will kick start (bike is kickstart only) but then dies if i throttle it.

idk where to start.... and by the way im new to all this, never been a mechanic or done anything of the sorts.
so im learning on this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_7731.JPG
    IMG_7731.JPG
    737.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7755.JPG
    IMG_7755.JPG
    655.1 KB · Views: 110
I am not sure if i am Certified to do it but Welcome

A 75 should have points ignition stock so please come back what you have
Some aftermarket ignitions don't like to have power on as in Key not turned off
They warn for that
However my first guess is that the battery needs more charging.
That is the first on CSF cheapest simplest first

The points would sit on the left side under the round cover at the top 12 o clock
If the battery charging don't do it please remove the 2 screws and take a photo

Have you tried to lubricate the wire.

1666730946139.png

Congrats on the find and welcome!

You have some non-stock parts there, so we need to know what all the electrical system and ignition consists of. I can see coils in the pics that may be for a points ignition, but removing the left chrome cover above the spark plug will confirm. Please post pics - as best ya can - of wires and components starting at left cover by the shifter to the battery to the coils and the switches in between.

What model battery? What model charger? Do you have a multimeter electrical tester?

Any fuses blown? Coils can charge up when the key is turned on and the point is closed on that coil. That may cause the snap you hear under the tank. When the tank was placed into position were there any wires crimped/squished?
Clutch cable lubed?

Welcome, I was stationed at Port Hueneme so I know where you live(in a non creepy way) lol. As suggested above, if any troubleshooting is done here it has to be fed with information and as also stated, pics, pics, pics! 🏍

so! got myself a 1975 xs650
love this thing it looks amazing. wish i could say i did the work myself but i actually found it this way.
anyways, i got a problem! things happened in this exact order.
1. got bike
2. clutch was super stiff so decided to re-rout the clutch cable so that it had more slack.
3. left the key on and battery died.

so i decided, great, change battery and fix clutch cable at the same time,
added a trickle battery charger for the antigravity battery that it has, re-routed clutch cable.

heres where the problems started.

now, when i turn the key a poping sound happens the first time, sounds likes it comming from the carb??

bike will kick start (bike is kickstart only) but then dies if i throttle it.

idk where to start.... and by the way im new to all this, never been a mechanic or done anything of the sorts.
so im learning on this thing.
I do sometimes get a pfffft turning on my ignition key if I killed the engine with the kill switch and then turn the key to OFF. Sounds like your coil has a charge the gets released.

I am not sure if i am Certified to do it but Welcome

A 75 should have points ignition stock so please come back what you have
Some aftermarket ignitions don't like to have power on as in Key not turned off
They warn for that
However my first guess is that the battery needs more charging.
That is the first on CSF cheapest simplest first

The points would sit on the left side under the round cover at the top 12 o clock
If the battery charging don't do it please remove the 2 screws and take a photo

Have you tried to lubricate the wire.

View attachment 228356
thank you! ill hook it back up to charge. i got impatient and only left it on the charger about 30 min. ill completely remove the battery and charge it while i check out the "points". im a complete newb... so the fact that you guys are pointing this stuff out is really really helping! i appreciaate it! ill come back with updates and more pictures.

Congrats on the find and welcome!

You have some non-stock parts there, so we need to know what all the electrical system and ignition consists of. I can see coils in the pics that may be for a points ignition, but removing the left chrome cover above the spark plug will confirm. Please post pics - as best ya can - of wires and components starting at left cover by the shifter to the battery to the coils and the switches in between.

What model battery? What model charger? Do you have a multimeter electrical tester?
thank you! ill post more pictures this weekend. i do not have a multimeter but i can go get one. ive been loading up with tools little by little, (harbor frieght tools for now)

Any fuses blown? Coils can charge up when the key is turned on and the point is closed on that coil. That may cause the snap you hear under the tank. When the tank was placed into position were there any wires crimped/squished?
Clutch cable lubed?
i have not checked the fuses, when i placed the tank back on i did zip tie a few cables and clutch cable under the frame, not under the tank, i will double check that i didnt accidentally crimp any wires. clutch cable is not lubed, i bought some today cuz i read that somewhere. so its on my to-do list.

Welcome, I was stationed at Port Hueneme so I know where you live(in a non creepy way) lol. As suggested above, if any troubleshooting is done here it has to be fed with information and as also stated, pics, pics, pics! 🏍
oh no way! i literally just moved in front of the base. i hear the trumpets every morning lol. ill keep updates with more pics as i try these things!

I do sometimes get a pfffft turning on my ignition key if I killed the engine with the kill switch and then turn the key to OFF. Sounds like your coil has a charge the gets released.
my bikes doesnt have a kill switch. ive been having to turn off the bike with just the key. previous owner shaved down the electrical to bare bones. no horn, no blinkers, just headlight and tailight.

Hello and welcome. Intresting custom xs you have there. +1 on Jan's comments on the batteries state of charge. If you are new to motorcycle mechanics. One of the first lessons would be the care and feeding of your battery. A healthy, fully charged battery is essential and this should always be a first step before diagnosing other systems. A multimeter is a must have. There are also small digital gages that can be easily wired in to constantly display battery voltage. Good luck and have fun.>

Update!
Stilll no clue what I’m looking at. I checked the points online and it looks nothing like this. The wiring is even worse. I can’t find a diagram to follow, probably bcuz the bike is completely different from stock. Maybe I shouldn’t have bought a chopped up bike :(
The clutch cable is smooth now. I lubricated and re-routed it…the battery is fully charged…I’m still getting a pop from under the seat and some smoke, it will kick start sometimes, but dies.. what’s next???

Attachments

• 16D28668-3176-41AB-84DB-ACD828C4ABBB.jpeg
    16D28668-3176-41AB-84DB-ACD828C4ABBB.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 83
  • ADA4918C-CFFD-4A5E-8D24-607E72BB6476.jpeg
    ADA4918C-CFFD-4A5E-8D24-607E72BB6476.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 34025D23-FE48-4B3A-B824-280D8A3A80DF.jpeg
    34025D23-FE48-4B3A-B824-280D8A3A80DF.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 70
  • EBA93E34-7EF6-40D7-B906-C855321A136F.jpeg
    EBA93E34-7EF6-40D7-B906-C855321A136F.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 76
Definitely not stock wiring. Kinda looks like a hack job from the pics.

That’s got a pamco ignition (electronic).

You said you left the key on? hopefully you didn’t get the ignition.

If it starts dies as soon as you give it throttle, my brain would go to the idle/low circuit of the carb. Very easy for them to become clogged.

Also, you got gas in the tank? Not just a dribble in there but enough to sit over the opening of the petcock?

Inline fuel filter? Make sure it’s not clogged.

Does it start with the choke on?

Your carbs aren’t stock either.

How long have you had it, and did it run well when you first got it?

I’m still getting a pop from under the seat and some smoke, it will kick start sometimes, but dies.. what’s next???
Maybe take the seat off and let's see what's poppin' and smokin'. ;)

I
Definitely not stock wiring. Kinda looks like a hack job from the pics.

That’s got a pamco ignition (electronic).

You said you left the key on? hopefully you didn’t get the ignition.

If it starts dies as soon as you give it throttle, my brain would go to the idle/low circuit of the carb. Very easy for them to become clogged.

Also, you got gas in the tank? Not just a dribble in there but enough to sit over the opening of the petcock?

Inline fuel filter? Make sure it’s not clogged.

Does it start with the choke on?

Your carbs aren’t stock either.

How long have you had it, and did it run well when you first got it?
Ive had the bike about a month. It ran kinda okay at first, my only complaint was the clutch being way to stiff. It wasn’t by any means fast at all and it kinda always sounds like it just might shut off, not sure if that’s normal for an old bike?…
So I checked all the fuses, removed the tank made sure nothing was pinched underneath, moved a couple of kinked wires…anddd the bike starts! Idles, and stays on even if I hit the throttle, now…the issue is this, the bike will kick start if I have the key in the 3rd position, however, my lights don’t turn on unless I have it in the 2nd position. (The lights worked before)

To get the feel for your electrical you may have to do a little tracing. Take one circuit at a time. Start with lights, make a diagram and note the colors. I know it sounds daunting but as you trace you will see it’s actually pretty easy.

Back