Greetings from Dublin

daithi

XS650 Member
Reaction score
xs650me.jpg

Hi Daithi, welcome to the forum. I had a TR6, 1970, one of the last pre-OIF, just a great bike to ride - lovely exhaust note, lovely loose feeling to the engine, enough power, enough handling, nearly enough brakes. It had the fear-assist TLS which stopped the bike if you braked like you really meant it. But she nearly broke me heart with minor oil leaks and occasional wet-sumping and had to go. 1978 XS650 fills the gap very well as an old-fashioned, heavy fly-wheel, uncomplicated bike. Looks and feels like a motorbike ought to.

Yours looks nice.

Last edited:
Welcome daithi,

Identify the bike with the Vin no, or post it so we can help. Going on appearance in the one photo it looks to be a 78SE or 79SF...........

Is the bike a US import? or a US custom sold for the Euro/GB market?.......

Also makes a difference because models sold in Europe and GB were sold with twin front rotors that were the smaller ones, (usually reserved for the standards), and the front forks are different due to the caliper mount brackets being lower on the forks

The later models had extra "safety" relays and switches added, one for the sidestand and one up on the clutch lever. These may have been removed hence the extra unused wiring. For info on them and the removal process, see post #55 here .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-3
Lots of great reading there. I like your method of fitting jumper wires. Nice and neat

Welcome daithi,

Identify the bike with the Vin no, or post it so we can help. Going on appearance in the one photo it looks to be a 78SE or 79SF...........

Is the bike a US import? or a US custom sold for the Euro/GB market?.......

Also makes a difference because models sold in Europe and GB were sold with twin front rotors that were the smaller ones, (usually reserved for the standards), and the front forks are different due to the caliper mount brackets being lower on the forks
The vin no is 3LI 002314 so as far as I have found it could be a European SE or SF. I’m not sure what the difference is though.

79SE euro model, have had confirmation of another 79SE euro model 3L1 0039**.......... Other countries had the 79 Special as an SF and the 78 Special as SE.

Check the vin plate to see if it is classed as an SE or SF

Clipboard.jpg

Small differences compared to US, Oceania and other countries maybe but probably not much.
Posting pics of the bike from different angles and areas will help to identify any changes or differences. Carbs and points ignition, i assume will be the same as other countries.

Main change was in 80 when the US got an electronic ignition and Europe, Oceania and some other countries didn't

Attachments

• xs650SF-4.jpg
    xs650SF-4.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OK sorry, I got mixed up with another recent poster who has an '84 Canadian model. Yours is old enough that it didn't get those added "safety" relays and switches. Unfortunately, it is right around the time they implemented the headlight auto-on feature and eliminated the handlebar light on-off switch.

Back